cloning to a new computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RHO, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHO

RHO Guest

I am moving to a new computer (Both P4 Dell systems running Windows XP with service pack 2) My old system has an 80 gig hard drive and my new computer has a 2 x 160 gig Raid system.

I want to clone my old system to my new sustem except for the operating system and any files that could be newer on the new system.

After reading the microsoft references and the different forum items I am totally confused.

I though that connecting the 2 computers through an ethernet crossover cable and running true image clone would do this but now I'm not so sure.

I would like to complete this task within the new few days if possible so any help would be gratefully appreciated

2. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

If you use a crossover cable and transfer files over the resulting ethernet connection why do you think you need TrueImage?

Since the hardware and operating systems will be different why not save yourself a lot of grief and just install your desired programs on the new machine and then transfer your files and documents to the new one by burning a cd?

Then you can use TrueImage8 to create an image of your properly set up new machine.

3. RHO

RHO Guest

I was trying to avoid having to reinstall all the different software I use including configurations. I thought that True Image cloning would do thiso_O

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

It is always better to reinstall programs on a new system since certain files are written to the registry. Data files, on the other hand, can be copied over, as someone suggested, by burning them to CD or using your crossover cable - for which TI is not needed.

The TI Clone procedure is exactly that. It will take EVERYTHING from the old computer HD and make the NEW hard drive "look" just like it, which, in your case is not a good thing since the new SYSTEM probably has different hardware, which will confuse the cloned hard drive.

5. RHO

RHO Guest

TX for the info. I guess there is no easy way to avoid program reinstallation. I'll probably just use the crossover cable and the microsoft files and settings transfer utility and then just wait till I need one of my existibg program before I reinstall them as I go along.

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

That's what I do when I start using a "new" computer. Usually I have programs on the old one which I no longer use. No point in bringing over the "junk".

If you want to remember what programs you had on the old one, and there are too many to write down, open Windows Explorer [r-click Start and choose Explore] go to where they are installed - usually Program Files and make a screen capture of the folders in Program Files. Then paste into your favorite image program (MsPaint will do it). Save it and transfer (or print it) to your new system.

7. RHO

RHO Guest

Good idea. My bigest problem is some of the programs I have updated a number of times and purchased the updates on line so I have to re install the original for the license then go through the downloads for the upgrades. Love the task!!!!

Have a good one

RHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.