Cloning smaller partition to larger HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Neil123, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil123

Neil123 Registered Member

Hi All
    For reasons I won't take up time to explain, I want to clone a WinXP partition (C Drive of 40GB) from a larger HDD onto a full 80GB HDD without any partitions. Using True Image Home11 I've created an image of the c drive (partition) and when I go to copy to the new HDD the graphic displayed indicates to me that True Image will create a 40GB partition and not use all of the 80GB available. I don't want to buy software like Partition Magic etc to use only once. How do I clone the 40GB partition onto a full 80GB drive?

PS I'm performing the above using a portable HDD in a Mobile rack using a USB connection on my main PC that has True Image loaded. I'm assuming all hidden system files etc needed to run WinXP will be copied correctly?

Many thanks for your time reading this post o_O

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You should be able to resize the partition on restore within the Restore Data Wizard. See section 6.3.8 in the TI 11 User Guide.

I don't think this is your problem but you must be restoring an image not doing a clone. TI cannot clone partitions only entire HDs.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You will want to perform your task when booted from the TI Rescue CD (or TI bootable thumb drive, etc. I would not perform the task inside Windows. Also suggest that place your blank drive in the normal boot position and move the original into an alternate position before performin the Partition Restore with Resize. Check line 3 of my signature for more details about the Restore with Resize. As Seekforever stated, cloning a single partition is not an option since TI only does disk cloning.

4. Neil123

SeekForever you are correct, I tried to use an image and not the cloning function as per my heading. Should I use clone instead?

However back to my current attemp, when I try to copy the image to the new HDD, the option in the dialogue box shown in the manual section 6.3.8 that changes the partition size is greyed out and will not let me me increase the size of the partition. I can also drag the 40GB image in the upper box, but Ti will not let me drag the edge to increase the size to 80GB.

I see there is a new update to my version (Home 11) so I'll run that and try again. Failing that I could mount the image and copy files that way but when I tried that it took over half a day then stopped when AVG found a file it didn't like.

As per GroverH's comment, I don't have a boot CD so will try the above first.

Thanks to all
    Neil123 o_O

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

6. Neil123

Thanks GroverH.

I created a Rescue CD (thanks for the tip) and did as you suggested, put the smaller 80GB HDD in the PC (primary boot drive), the old and larger HDD (200GB with 40GB C drive) in the USB port and booted from the CD drive. All drives were recognised correctly by TI. When I tried to transfer the old C drive to the new 80GB drive, TI would not copy just the C drive and refused to copy stating the destination drive is too small. TI obviously wanted to copy the whole drive (ie old C, D & E drives).

Is there something I have missed? I only want to copy the old C drive not the whole disk.

Thanks for your help :) Neil123

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You want to transfer an image of the old C drive partition to the new drive. It sounds like you are trying to clone the drive which to TI means the entire physical drive.

If you haven't done so, make an image of the old C and then restore it. You should be able to do all of this with the boot CD with the setup as it is.

8. Neil123

Copied image to new C drive successfully. However the partition created was the same size as the original 40GB c drive, hence I have a 38GB portion of the new 80GB disk unallocated. I need the whole of the new 80GB drive as my new c drive. TI does seem to give me that option (see my post above about not being able to change the partition size in the dialogue box) so I need software to increase the size of the new c drive from the current 40Gb to use the whole 80GB. Any freeware that you can recommend?

Thanks o_O

9. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Alot of people use the free gparted live cd to partition/resize hard drives. But there is also a way of reclaiming that space using the "secure zone" fix.

You probably backed up and restored the MBR, that's what probably left the unallocated space. The 80gb hard drive thinks it's a 40gb hard drive because the MBR it has belongs to the 40gb source drive.

10. Neil123

After posting I remembered I had GParted so ran it. It gave an error message before it completed the expand task. When I ran WinXP after removing the GParted Live CD, Windows Disk Management tells me I have a c drive of 80GB however Win Explorer tells me the c drive is only 40GB. On subsequent running of Win XP I can't even get into safe mode. Looks like I have to start over again.

What is "secure zone"? Is it part of TI or another program? ]

Thanks Neil123 o_O

11. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

See 3.3 Acronis Secure Zone™ in the Ti11 manual.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  12. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Neil123,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat, describe the issue and attach the following info to your request:

Download Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us. Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.