Cloning SATA drive with Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GeorgeCz, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeCz

GeorgeCz Registered Member

I have read many of the Forum responses to the winload.exe problem encountered when cloning a Vista Ultimate SATA 100GB HDD.

My problem is that since I have a Lenovo T60P with no original Vista DVD, I am not able to do a repair of the cloned drive as described in many of the forum posts. I cloned the drive using the instructions from within Vista. I only have one partition with about 20GB of free space on a 100GB drive. Cloned to a 200GB SATA drive following instructions in Product Guide of TI 10. Software is Build 4.942. The larger drive was attached to Laptop via a SATA Ultra-bay.

Since I replaced the CD/DVD drive with the SATA Ultra-bay, I am not able to boot from the Acronis Boot CD.

What procedure should I use to clone to a larger 200GB Hitachi SATA HDD. Will cloning from the Acronis boot disk make a difference. I am concerned about making the original HDD not-bootable as described in a few of the forum posts.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  2. GeorgeCz

GeorgeCz Registered Member

Re: Cloning SATA drive with Vista Ultimate=> Update

I followed the instructions I received from Acronis ( shown below) by making a Bootable Rescue disk with full support.

Since I was cloning to a T60P laptop where the 2nd new HDD was located in the Ultrabay, I borrowed a USB CD-ROM drive to boot from.

I booted from the CD using Full version of Bootable Rescue Disk and cloned the HDD drive. Since I also purchased the Disk Director Suite, I was able to view the partion information on the cloned drive. To my surprise I saw that the hidden partion on the T60P drive, which has the operating system stored for recovery, was labeled as Primary and Active. During this process I also discovered that I needed to use a USB mouse, the wireless Logitech mouse was recognized but I could only move it in a vertical up & down direction.

Upon rebooting, both of my drives were made unsuable.

The only saving grace was that I made a backup of the entire system on a USB HDD. It took about 20 mintes to recover to my last backup of a few days ago.

I am still trying to figure out why TI 10 is not able to clone a drive that has a Primary hidden partion followed by a Primary active partion which has the OEM Vista Ultimate operating system installed on it so that I can use the 200GB new SATA drive.

Appreciate any help I can get from the forum readers.

=========================================================
    Acronis Customer Service Department <support@acronis.com>
    08/20/2007 10:09 AM
    Please respond to
    support@acronis.com

Subject
    [Acronis #1113063] Cloning SATA drive with Vista Ultimate

Hello George,

Thank you for purchasing Acronis products http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We may recommend you create Acronis bootable disc using “Create Bootable Rescue Media” option, boot from it and perform the same operation using it. Read Acronis True Image 10.0 Home user guide chapter 10 "Creating bootable media" for more information about Acronis True Image 10.0 Home bootable CD creation http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Note that you can quickly find the answers to your questions in Acronis Support
    Knowledge Base at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/kb/

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Acronis, Inc.
    23 3rd Avenue
    Burlington, MA 01803 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Customer Service Department
    http://www.acronis.com/my/support/

> - Sat Aug 18 20:26:03 2007]:
    >
    > I have read many of the Forum responses to the winload.exe problem
    > encountered when cloning a Vista SATA HDD.
    >
    > My problem is that since I have a Lenovo T60P with no original Vista
    > DVD I am not able to do a repair of the cloned drive.
    >
    > What procedure should I use to clone to a larger 200GB HDD. My son is
    > leaving for college next week and I purchased your True Imnage and
    > Director software in order to clone his PC and am not able to do it
    > with your current latest software build of True Image.
    >
    > Need your help.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Cloning SATA drive with Vista Ultimate=> Update

Hello GeorgeCz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

Could you please make sure that USB legacy support is disabled in BIOS settings?

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.