Cloning one laptop to another identical laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rlvb, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlvb

rlvb Registered Member

I have two identical Compaq laptops (Presario 1500's) and want to clone one drive to the other as a backup system. My problem is I have some software on computer #1 that I want on computer #2 as a backup. The software is "boutique" and the developer went out of business several years ago (I have a license for the software). When I tried to load the software on computer #2 I had a "Fatal Error" message saying that Microsoft Access 2.5 is already installed and that I cannot modify the file. I have tried everything from restoring my hard drive to trying to update the MDAC file. I do know that the software works great on computer #1 so I felt that I could use Acronis True Image on computer #1 and then upload that image onto computer #2. Will this work? ANy comments or advice is greatly appreciated

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

If you are "cloning" the target drive should be overwritten 100%, so you shouldn't get
    You will not get this message from a clone.

If you want to run identical systems or just have a live backup, you should install ALL the software on #1 and then do the clone, it will work if the machines are 100% clones.

Be aware that your method can be construed as more than just a backup and I'm sure you will be getting replies here from the license police.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi noonie,

I'm sure you didn't mean for it to sound quite as disparaging as it came out ;). However, given that this is the Official Acronis Support Forum, I believe it only right and proper that the terms of Acronis' End User Licence (ELU) are pointed out when advising users on something that may be in breach of those conditions. If the user subsequently chooses to ignore the ELU, then so be it.

Now, if that makes me a member of the "licence police" then I guess that's what I am o_O :).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.