Cloning NTFS partition to FAT32

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by freebie_2005, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freebie_2005

freebie_2005 Registered Member

I have a HD with an NTFS partition, I would like to know if it is possible to clone this hard disk onto another hard disk but into a FAT32 partition. :rolleyes:

Windows XP Proffessional SP2
    Acronis TrueImage 8.0 Build 1158

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, freebie_2005

Welcome to Wilders.

No, is the short answer.

A clone is just that a clone, [as does and Image] it uses the file system [fat, fat32, ntfs] that is in use by the system a the time of cloning or creating an Image.

Take Care,
    TheQuest

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello freebie_2005,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I think that it is a little bit unclear what exact actions you want to perform.

However, there are only two possibilities:

1. If you want to transfer your NTFS partition to the FAT32 partition using Disk Clone capability of Acronis True Image 8.0 then I should say the following:

- Disk Clone allows you to transfer the entire hard drive only;

- All the partitions of the destination hard drive will be overwritten with the partitions of the source disk, so it does not matter if the destination disk had FAT32 file system or any other, since it will be overwritten with NTFS partition.

2. If you want to transfer the data from one hard drive to another converting the file system during the disk cloning process, then I should say that Acronis True Image 8.0 does not allow you to change the file system during the disk cloning process.

Please also note that Acronis True Image 8.0 allows you to restore an image of a partition changing it's file system. Please read more in section 5.6 of Acronis True Image 8.0 User's Guide. However, it does not allow you to convert NTFS to FAT32, but only FAT16 to FAT32.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.