Cloning Notebook SATA Drive (5400 RPM) to Notebook SATA Drive (7200 RPM)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Spinner, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinner

Spinner Registered Member

Using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. What would be the best method to clone my existing notebook SATA hard drive to another notebook SATA hard drive. I'd rather not purchase a SATA to USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure or a SATA to USB 2.0 cable adapter kit. I was hoping that True Image 9.0 Home would solve my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Spinner

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You have to have somewhere to install the second drive and to save an Image of the original. The external enclosure is one way. Do you have a desktop and an adapter to mount the laptop drives?

Another way is via a network drive. Do you have this available to you?

3. Spinner

Spinner Registered Member

This is what I'm contemplating. I have a desktop computer Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and I am using SATA1 and SATA2 already which uses the Intel ICH5R for RAID 0. I have another set of SATA connections SATA1_RAID and SATA2_RAID which uses the Promise PDC20378 and I was going to connect the source SATA notebook drive to SATA1_RAID, target SATA notebook drive to SATA2_RAID. Unfortuately, I think the manual states that the SATA connections are not hot-swappable. What if I create a acronis true image rescue cd and clone from there. Would that work ?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I don't use SATA at all so am not sure how TI will handle them, but the bootable TI cd is what I use to carry out my Image backups and Restores - never by launching TI from within Windows.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Spinner,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As far as I can understand, you plan to transfer all data including the operating system from one notebook to another.

If that's the case then you can accomplish your goal in the following ways:

- Use Clone Disk wizard to transfer the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

In this case both source and destination hard drives should be connected to one computer as the current version of Acronis True Image does not allow cloning over the network. It only allows cloning to\from hard drives connected locally. Acronis True Image supports SATA hard drives and so you can perform the disk cloning process both when the program is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD.

- Create an image of the entire source hard drive saving this image to any type of the supported media (e.g. CD, DVD, any internal, external, removable or network drive), boot the computer you want to restore this image to from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD and restore the beforehand created image.

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more details.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Please be aware that independently of whether you follow the disk cloning or disk imaging approach the newly cloned\restored operating system might not boot if destination notebook has hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. To avoid this problem we recommend you to prepare Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article. Please also note that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware even in case of using sysprep tool.

If you want to be completely sure that the cloned\restored operating system will boot then we recommend you to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation along with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

We also recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.