cloning laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gamston, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamston

gamston Registered Member

guys
    is this what i want to do,

clone laptop hard drive to a normal external hard drive
    install a new laptop hard drive,
    clone the new laptop hard drive from the clone/image on the external hard drive

is this possible?
    when do i format the new laptop hard, before i start everything or just before cloning image back from external hard drive ?

any tips or help please

thanks

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

gamston,

Yes you can do as described and you don't need partition and format the new drive. It may be blank.

But I wuold go the whole drive image/restore way. This technique is the most robust in TI and you always have the image if something goes wrong. Moreover, if your present drive has developed bad sectors, you can prevent the bad sector flags to be transferred to the new drive by performing a partitions restore with resize. To do that, you uncheck Drive 1 and check all the partitions (one by one after replying that you want to restore another partition), resize each one and add the MBR and Track 0 as well. After that you commit the task with Proceed and the whole disk will be restored in one operation.

The new disk may be blank in the latter procedure too.

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

4. gamston

gamston Registered Member

thanks guys
    i'll check T.I. and setup my laptop and do an image, instead of clone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.