Cloning Difficulty ATI 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MRB99, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRB99

MRB99 Registered Member

I just purchased and downloaded ATI 9.0
    I cannot complete the Clone Disk task. I am going to list the steps until the point that I get hung up.

1) Clone mode automatic
    2) Source disk 1 C drive (114GB; 102 GB free space)
    3) Destination Disk #2 E drive (76 GB; formatted, 76 GB free)
    4) Delete partitions
    5) Hard disk structure before cloning C: 114 GB
    6) Hard disk structure after cloning C: 76 GB (?? not drive "E")
    7) Operation left 3
    Clearing Hard disk 2
    Operation 2 of 3 (Reboot required)
    Copying partition
    Hard disk 1 -> 2
    Drive C:
    File system NTFS
    Volume label
    Volume Size 114 GB -> 76 GB
    Operation 303
    Copying 303
    Hard disk 1 -> 2
    :cool: following the above screen I am prompted to click proceed, which I do
    9) then I am prompted to click Reboot
    10) the system reboots and I have to start completely from scratch, without ever completing the clone

This is as far as I get. I would appreciate any thoughts or assistance. Thanks.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Are you trying to clone a 114 GB drive to a 76 GB drive?
    Cloning copies everything, not just “in use” space.

3. MRB99

MRB99 Registered Member

I already figured this likely was the issue and earlier this morning purchased a 120 GB hard drive for the clone destination. This likely will solve my problem. Thanks.

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

To simplify your cloning/imaging proceedures in future you may want to keep your os and programs on the smallest drive. With Ti, you can always go up in size, not down.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Not true in the case of imaging. As long as the target drive is bigger than the uncompressed image"downsizing" works just fine. I have done it frequently in testing.

Xpilot

6. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Xpilot,

LOL
    That's true,
    but consider the fact that,
    MRB99 is new to Ti,
    He wants to clone,
    I referred to clone/imaging, I'm sure at some stage he will appreciate the finer details.

7. MRB99

MRB99 Registered Member

OK, so here is the update. As I mentioned earlier, I bought a larger external hard drive in an attempt to fix my problem.

I then attempted to clone my c drive (114 GB) to destination drive e that is 120 GB.

I am still running into the exact same problem. I get to a screen that says the following:

Operation left 3
    Clearing Hard disk 2
    Operation 2 of 3 (Reboot required)
    Copying partition
    Hard disk 1 -> 2
    Drive C:
    File system NTFS
    Volume label
    Volume Size 114 GB -> 76 GB
    Operation 303
    Copying 303
    Hard disk 1 -> 2

I am then prompted to click proceed, which I do.
    It then tells me to click reboot, which I do.
    Then my system reboots and ATI isn't running upon the restart of the system and I am have to start from the beginning again.

Any thoughts? This is quite frustrating.

I want to create a mirror image of my hard drive in case the original drive dies. I don't want to just back up data but preserve the os, applications, system state, etc. What is the best way to do this with ATI? Cloning? If so, then how do I get past the problem I keep running into.

Thanks for any input.

8. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Can't help much other than to ask if you've checked the TI log? Maybe if there's something there , you could post it for TI support to see.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MRB99,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create the bootable rescue media with Acronis True Image 9.0, boot your computer from it and clone your hard drive in rescue mode.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

If the problems still persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep both source and destination hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux System Information.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

10. MRB99

MRB99 Registered Member

Thank you for the assitance and recommendations.
    Part of my problem, I think, is that I am trying to use "Clone Disk" to back up my hard drive. Upon further reading, I now realize the Clone Disk tool is intended to be used for the transfer of one drive's contents to another drive. I don't want to replace one drive with another, I just want a complete system back up in case disaster strikes my c drive. Presumably the Backup tool or option will accomplish the goal of total system backup (OS, applications, system state, data, etc) that can be used for recovery if disaster eventually does strike. I apologize if I am wasting the time of others with the obvious.

11. noonie

noonie Registered Member

If you can spare the 2nd drive, then there is nothing wrong with cloning for disaster recovery. In fact one advantage is that you will not have to restore to a drive later, just install the cloned drive as the boot/master.
    If you image to the 2nd drive you will have some room left on it to add additional data as well, but you will, as I said, have to restore to another drive to get the original back. This is in case of physical boot drive failure. If you want to just refresh your boot drive, to a previous state, then imaging is probably best.

Your choice.

Just for fun, as suggested above, try using the Ti boot cd to clone to your new drive and see what happens

12. hexmaniac

hexmaniac Registered Member

I had no problems cloning a WD 250GB SATA2 disk to a WD 150GB Raptor SATA1. As long as the amount of data (not the partition size) on the source drive does not exceed the size of the destination drive, it works perfectly. Cloning 48.3 GB of data (232 GB partition to a 139 GB partition) took 12 minutes and as long as you clone the drives WITHOUT booting into XP (XP will see that is has two partitions with the same identifier and change one because it must be an error), you can clone the system drive without having any problems. I used manual mode and did not delete the data from the source, and removed the source drive before booting into XP. I use TI8 b937. There was a lot of wasted space on my system drive. The Raptor cut my boot time by 20 seconds and my programs open quicker (for those wondering why I chose to downsize my system drive). HTH.

13. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Yes, backup (as distinct from cloning) will achieve your objective of being able to provide a total system backup. Just make sure that you backup the entire disk i.e. check the box beside the disk name. That is the only way to include your MBR in the image. If you've had a total disk disaster, you will need the MBR to be able to boot the restored image.

Another advantage of imaging is that unlike with cloning, you can have more than one image taken at different times. You may not always want to restore from the last image - it depends on what has gone wrong and when it happened. A clone always zaps the previous disk contents. Noonie is quite correct though, cloning can also be useful for disaster recovery. Weigh up the pros and cons - either will work.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.