Cloning/backing up NEW PC..as in during first boot.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by broderp, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broderp

broderp Registered Member

I just bought a new PC. I have yet to open and even power it up.

This is my FIRST pc ever that the manufacture does NOT supply a restore disc or OS disc.

They instead rely on the consumer to use a built in backup utility to be able to burn 1 (one) backup DVD. After you burn it, your done.

My experience with DVD-RW's is they are damaged, scratched rather easily. I'm concerned about either losing it, messing it up, or if my HD goes bad or I want to upgrade I may be screwed with no means to install an OS.

Can I interupt the boot up (first time boot) and change the bios to boot to the DVDRW and run ATI10 and backup the entire hard drive in it's "shipped state"?

This way create a "restore to OEM" ability like DELL or others do? If my logic is correct, I can then at any time restore the drive back to it's OEM state, even before I boot it, and as such can then always return to that state and re-create the backup DVD....righto_O??

I read that the ATI10 disk is bootable, or do I need to create a bootable disk on another PC first?

(I would prefer to backup to my USB HD) is this POSSIBLE?

Thank you

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

ATI 10 actually has the capability to create a bootable DVD with the backup Image on it. But it can only be done from the installed TI software, not from its bootable cd.

I don't think you should have any qualms about creating the restore cd (or dvd) as provided by the computer maker. And I believe you do not absolutely have to create it at first boot. If you think you will lose it, make several copies and tape one to the computer.

You can also do your first boot with the bootable TI CD and make an Image before the system even does its own first boot. But be sure you know how to get into the bios as, from what I've seen, virgin systems do not have the boot order such that it will boot from a bootable CD. Why makers do not have the boot order with the CD before the Hard Drive, I don't know. Seems like the logical thing to do.

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

It depends on the system. I recently bought a batch of laptops (ACER?) which allow the boot sequence to be interrupted so that the factory installation can be rewritten to the main partition (from a hidden one) at any time in the future. For sure there is an automated imaging program doing the restoration behind the scenes. Obviously it is a bit dogdy in that it all lives on the same hard drive.

Have a read of the manual it might tell you quite a bit.

F.

4. broderp

I was told you can only make ONE copy of this backup program and you are locked out. It (the DVD) you make is also copy protected.

They could be just saying that, I don't know. I didn't want to take any chances.

Funny though, this is an ACER Desk-top (Aspire ALS100UD400A) and the documentation is really bad IMO. They list a restore button I think in the manual, but they don't explain how it works. It does have a hidden partition as well. (I know this because I bought TWO of them, one for the wife I found as an "Open Box" discount that was priced to go! It was a demo model that the "service" people had done the restore and created the Restore DVD for to clear out any "junk" people may have put on it while it was on display. ) Maybe I'm missing a manual I will need to see as the second one is still in the box.

Since they are the same, an image from one can be used for both in case of an emergency.

I want the OEM backup done BEFORE I power it up and enter any information so I can always go back to it if and when I sell it.

I agree with you, but the tech people at Circuit City state the system can only make one DVD. So even if I can do a restore, it may still "lock" out this DVD making process even though it reboots to the same original state. (marks the HD??or registry? It's confusing.o_O

5. DwnNdrty

If you don't mind voiding the warranty, Clone the hard drive to a drive of your own, remove the original drive and just use your drive to boot it.

6. broderp

The best scenario for me. Hopefully ATI10 will be able to see my USB HD attached and do the backup. That is my only issue concern (short of not being able to boot to the DVD drive first).

I have had good fortune with ATI10 and my DELL laptop, as it finds all the hardware and I can do a boot from DVD, granted this is after I had started up the system, but it has DELL RESTORE on board as well.o_O

7. broderp

I thought of thatas well..:shifty: I have opened the one I purchased for my wife. It's neat combination of hardware. I did not see any security labels or any way they would be able to tell that I removed the HD or even opened it for that matter.

8. DwnNdrty

In that case then, I would clone my own drive and save the original for when and if you need to have the system back to original specs. You can even do the cloning on another system, if you cannot get into the bios to make the TI cd boot the computer in question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.