Cloning at 1% per hour

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ronco, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronco

ronco Registered Member

Currently I'm trying to clone a 60G to a 160G harddrive. I did this once & it went extremely slow, at about 1% per hour, doing this through the Wizard. When it was completed (it took days) I turned off the computer, removed the old harddrive & rebooted to the new drive. When I did this it got to the WinXP screen where the indication bar to show it was loading was moving very slow & never completed booting up. Tried everything I could think of, reconnected old harddrive with the new one still connected & it booted up fine to the old drive, pulled up the new drive in windows explorer & I could see all the files on it. Tried going to local machine & deleting all values in mounted devices, took out old drive & rebooted, this did not produce any results. Finally gave up & started the whole process all over again but it appears to be progressing at the 1% per hour rate again. HELP!!!!!
    Dell Dimension 4550
    XP Home
    1G Ram
    New Drive Seagate Barracuda 160G Ultra ATA/100
    All Updates for Computer Done
    Running True Image 9.0 Build 2289, downloaded build 2323 & installed but still showing build 2289
    Shutdown all Spyware, Firewall & Antivirus protection before beginning this mess.
    HELP!!!!!!

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello ronco,

First things first - there is a bug in Build 2323's installer. You will need to uninstall the previous build before installing the new one. After that, create a new bootable rescue CD, boot from it and try the cloning process from there.

Regards

3. ronco

ronco Registered Member

Thanks I will try this & get back. Ronco

4. ronco

ronco Registered Member

I did get the 2323 ver. installed, but still had no luck. Contacted Seagate, we were unable to format or do anything with the harddrive, so they will be sending me a new drive. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Let us know how it goes.

6. RetiredBri

RetiredBri Registered Member

Hi ronco
    Was this Seagate's DiskWizard?
    I tried the same thing - 60Gb to 80Gb (both Seagate using their DiskWizard running under Windows XP) and afterwards, the new drive was very slow to boot, some Office applications would not run and it was very slow to shutdown. Also drive letters not the same as the old
    Reverted to the old drive and worked as before.

Just interested
    RetiredBri

7. JonD

JonD Guest

My second backup clone with build 2323 using a brand new Seagate 160G drive.

Previous clone to a 80G drive less than an hour

The clone to the 160G drive seemed stuck at 1% (it was so slow). I left it running over night and it did appear to complete successfully. I have not tried booting from the clone (it is just supposed to be a backup).

My installation of 2323 was my first installation (no previous version)

Is there something wrong with the new drive perhaps or some other issue?

JonD

8. JonD

JonD Guest

I should have pointed out that I was cloning the same operational system drive each time even though the target drives were different.

The source drive was the same and contained about 54G.

JonD

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You should test that clone to see if it will boot. It would be a pity to find that it does not when you really need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.