cloning a compressed drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tbellm, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbellm

tbellm Registered Member

I booted ti 8 build 771 from the boot cd, then used disk clone to a larger drive.

The source drive was compressed using Windows XP (NTFS) file compression.

After rebooting with the new drive, ran into a lot of programs that are crashing. This laptop ran OK before. Right now I've cut back to the original hard disk.

Any issues with cloning a compressed drive?

update: my determined end user called microsoft. they suggested running a windows repair. ran into problem of only having an xp pro original cd, not an xp pro sp1 cd (microsoft had him uninstall sp2). Going to get him an xp sp1 cd.

the whole situation is acting like we put the cloned hard disk into a completely different machine. All we did was get a bigger hard disk.

any comments would still be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Tim

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I wouldn't expect there to be any problem imaging and restoring a system that is using NTFS file compression as TI works at the sector level and it creates and restores a mirror image. Having said that, perhaps Acronis can confirm that there is no issue regarding that particular scenario.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

There should be no problems cloning the compressed disk. Could you please download and install the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

After you get the latest build please try to clone the drive once again and let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. tbellm

tbellm Registered Member

After spending time troubleshooting the cloned xp install, the user decided to do a clean OS install.

I kind of wish we could have found the answer to why this failed. I've cloned drives with good results before. With the latest build, I still may clone his old drive to one of my spare drives. In all my spare time :D

Thanks for the thoughts

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.