Cloning & 2 Drives Bootable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aarond38, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarond38

aarond38 Registered Member

I have two HD's in my computer operating XP. How do I go about cloning my master drive to my slave drive and having both Hard Drives Bootable. I was told that this was not possible but ? that logic! The instruction book Acronis TI 9.0 ( software which is installed on my compuer) does not seem to address that issue. Would appreciate pointing me in the right direction / or if this is not possible a reasonable alternative so I will be safe from a system failure.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Aarond38

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Make the bootable TI rescue CD.

Boot with it and select the Clone procedure.

This will wipe out everything on the slave drive and make it exactly like the Master boot drive.

Once the process is finished, shut down the system, remove or disconnect the original master drive, set the Slave to Master and let the system boot from the newly cloned drive.

If it works you now have two identical booting drives.

Keep one or the other in a safe place.

3. aarond38

Thanks again Chutsman, I'll try that out. Have a great day!

Aarond38

4. aarond38

Is there any way 2 keep both drives installed and prior to the computer booting up being asked which drive to boot into and also being able to utilize both drives without taking the cover of the computer off each time to make adjustments to master / slave drives??

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I'm not sure if this would work but try this:

Give the drives different volume names. Do it with one drive in the computer first because when you do the Clone procedure, TI makes an identical drive right down to the volume name of the source. To do this, open "My Computer" and then r-click on the drive name (usually the default is Local Disk). Choose Rename and name it something like WD80 (if it is a Western Digital 80 gig). The drive letter will re-appear after you hit enter to accept the name.

Now shutdown and reconnect the second drive as a Slave, reboot and rename the second one to something similar, but different.

But to keep both in the computer and being able to choose which one to boot from, there are two options I can think of:

1. Radio Shack used to sell a device that allowed this switching feature. I haven't seen it in quite a while so don't know if it is still available.

2. Install each drive in a removable rack/tray device. I think CompUSA has them for about $15. They are very handy. I have seven of them myself.

Most newer motherboards will boot from any drive that has a bootable OS even if the drive is on the secondary controller. Your normal bootable drive will be on the Primary controller. When you want to boot with the other drive, either switch around the drives (easy to do with the drives in the rack devices) or just pull out the tray that the Primary drive is in.

6. rafael

rafael Registered Member

I have two of this removal rack/tray. Makes things more convenient.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aarond38,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Just would like to confirm that insrtuction given by Chutsman in post #2 should work. I would also recommend you first to prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep), since after cloning you will get exactly the same Windows operating system. Sysprep removes configuration settings that are unique to the computer such as the computer name and SID.

Also as Chutsman said we recommend that you unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Please note that for this purpose we may recommend you to use Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0. Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 includes Acronis OS Selector — a powerful, reliable, and easy-to-use boot manager. Please download Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 trial version at in order to make sure that it works on your computer. Please read more information on how to use it in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.