Cloned Vista Hard Disk Needs Activation!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xp_1839, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xp_1839

xp_1839 Registered Member

After cloning from WD 160GB hard disk to Seagate 160GB, and restart with Seagate 160GB, only to find that Vista needs activation! The copied of Vista Home Premium is legal OEM version. Every other hardwares remained the same with only the hard disk, still need activation! Is there anyway to avoid activation?:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Try activating it. If it works, great! If not ring the free phone number and explain what happened. MS will unlock the software for you.

Everyone thinks it's difficult but it's not.

3. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

It probably wouldn't have happened with a retail version, but OEM versions are tied to the computer they are first installed on because of the favourable discount terms received by computer manufacturers.

Be interesting to hear from you whether M$ have given you a new activation code, though I bet they will.

4. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Please update us on this; I'm also interested on just how strict vista is on OEM and hardware changes such as HDs.

Thanks!

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know this for a fact and certainly not based on personal experience since I don't use Vista. I did read somewhere that Vista will choke on a different HD and the licensing really doesn't permit putting images on a bunch of disks. If you know differently please set me right.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As I understand the changes in the Vista license, one copy of Vista is licensed for one installation on one computer. Installing the same copy on two partitions or two hard drives on the same computer is outside the license.

On the other hand, I have Vista Ultimate retail version running on two hard drives that I swap in and out of the same computer using drive trays, and I didn't get any reactivation problem. I restored an image of the first drive to the second drive to create the second installation.

7. alexmelo

alexmelo Registered Member

Hi,
    Is there a definitive answer to this question - cloning Vista to a new, larger HD? I have a Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium pre-installaed, with a 160 GB HD, and I need to upgrade to a new 250 GB HD which I am trying to find and buy. Then, I'd be very thankful if I knew beforehand if I'll have problems. Some time ago, I did this with Windows XP and I had no activation problems (changed from a 40 GB HD to a 120 GB HD, cloning with Acronis. Just removed one disk from the notebook and installed the larger one in place). Best regards,
    Alex

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think this would be a problem even if you had to call MS and reactivate. People upgrade/replace HDs all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.