Cloned partition wont let me login?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by som4, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. som4

som4 Registered Member

I am currently using a a free trial of True Image Home (still in two minds on buying it) and have used it to clone my XP Pro boot partition.

All seemed to go fine. I cloned my old smaller 90GB HD to my 200GB HD. I turned off the PC removed the 90GB and started it up. Windows begins to boot but where i usually get the xp style login page (ie where you click on the chosen user and you type your password) i get a classic style login when you type in the user and password. After finally remembering my login name i login. Problem is straight away i get a box saying "loging off user" and i go straight back to where i started?!

This happens if i create an image and restore from that?! I'm guessing it might be something to do with the xp partition i made an image of/cloned, but i have activated windows xp for the 3rd time and i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay for a new install of it.

PLEASE HELP!

Spec:
    ASUS A8V-VM motherboard
    2GB RAM
    3 HD's
    - 250GB DATA SATA HD
    - 90GB OLD XP SATA HD
    - 200GB NEW SATA HD (i want to clone my partition to this)

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Som4, welcome the the ATI Forum :D

Windows XP uses the files winlogon.exe and lsass.exe to display the Welcome screen and the user logon credentials.

I suggest that you do the following:

• Reformat the 200GB new SATA disk and run a chkdsk on it to make sure that the disk is good.
    • Create an image of your system partition to a spare partition on your data disk (250GB SATA). Include the MBR.
    • Remove the old 90GB SATA and replace with the new blank 200GB SATA.
    • Boot from the ATI CD (Linux shell) and restore the system partition image to the new blank 200GB SATA. Include the MBR and make sure that you choose "Active" for the partition type.
    • Reboot.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello som4,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that most likely you have experienced the same issue as described in this threads: auto logoff problem, Re: Mr. Therefore, please have a look at these threads and try to perform the actions described there.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hello Acronis Support

That seems like a strange solution that you have provided.... I quote from the link that you supplied.....

In his original post Som4 wrote....

I would be interested to hear how you can CLONE a disk but only "...image one of several partitions...."

That is a new bit of technology to me :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.