Cloned drive will not boot in Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sterlingtimes, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingtimes

sterlingtimes Registered Member

I am trying to replace my current hardrive with a bigger and higher specification one.

I spent must of yesterday producing clone drives in various different ways.

Acronis produces a clone that on the face of it looks exactly like a clone: the size is right and the files on it look identical.

However, when I replace the old drive with the cloned drive, I get a message like this.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

The system directs me reboot and to carry out a repair using the Vista drive, but the Vista disk will not boot in this situation.

Why is it that the cloned drive does not appear as a clone to Vista?

I'm using the latested version of Acronis at today's date.

2. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

try booting with the WindowsDVD and choose repair booting environment or something like that (I don't know the exact phrase).

I tried it once and my system bootet up again.

Volker

3. schatzoy

schatzoy Registered Member

I second Volker's comment. I had the exact same problem (Intel Core 2 Duo, Chipset 965) and with booting from the original Vista CD I was able to rescue the boot-up. Mind you the repair program is only available after a couple of steps on the Vista CD, i.e. you first have to select language, time zone keyboard before the screen with the repair program shows up. Good luck!

4. sterlingtimes

sterlingtimes Registered Member

Thank you, Volker and Schatzroy.

After going through an accelerated learning curve in the use of BIOS to make the CD run, I managed to clone again and then to carryout the start-up repair. I'm not sure that I could do this. It involved a lot of fiddling and trial and error.

Anyway, I learned and have my disk cloned.

I do wonder why the repair was necessary in the first place.

I do hope that if I should need to restore from a backup (because I wouldn't wish to clone again), that this sort of repair would not be necessary.

I'll now update my trial copy of Acronis by buying from Amazon UK because at £22, it's substantially cheaper than the Acronis download version.

Regards - Sterling.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You should be fine when restoring a backup image. To be sure, you might make an image and restore it to your old drive. That's the perfect test of a backup - a real restore.

6. rushing7

rushing7 Registered Member

I also had the same problem when trying to clone my hd with vista, and the repair option also worked but,I also made a bootable recovery dos disk and I booted up to the recovery disk. and it made a good clone that would boot up to vista. the only thing is that it reset my activation from activated back to 3 days left for activation. I guess that the new hd was enought hardware change to cause that. Rushing7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.