Cloned booted drive “not initialized” in XP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mecurio, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecurio

mecurio Registered Member

I have upgrade my ide hard drive with a new sata drive. The drive has xp with several partitions.

I have Drive Image 8 and booted with the recovery disk that I created. I cloned the drive with the same partition sizes and the extra space was formatted as EXT2. I restarted the computer and went into the bios and changed the boot order, so the computed booted into the cloned drive first.

I restarted the computer and it booted successfully (I did not detach the ide drive) although initially I had some error messages from my firewall and truecrypt failed to mount my encrypted partition.

I rebooted and the second time xp started (no messages from my firewall) but truecrypt failed again. I went into disk management to investigate and the “inintialize disk” wizard started. I cancelled and I can now see my drive listed but shown as “Unknown - Not initialized”.

My problem is I do not know what to do next.

I could initialize the disk but fear that it could become corrupted and fail to reboot.

I could run Testdisk and get it to rewrite the mbr (I have used it before and it has saved me a couple of times in the past).

Any suggestion greatly appreciated, thanks

Mecurio

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I would try a Repair Install of XP on the Sata drive.

3. mecurio

mecurio Registered Member

Thanks for reply, I found the partitions could be mounted, but not to their drive letter as xp had recognized them and given them new drive letters.

The solutions was to delete them in disk management and truecrypt could then automount the partitions as the drive letters were now free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.