Clone won't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dausten, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dausten

dausten Registered Member

Using Acronis True Image 10 I created an Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD and made a clone hard drive, but when I made the newly cloned drive the boot drive I got the following message:

DISC BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I compared the number of files on the original disc with the clone and there were 127,823 on the original and 127,813 on the clone. Why did Acronis not copy the 10 missing ones? I expect that is why I got the error message. I tried putting the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD in that I had made and the newly cloned disc booted!

How can I make the clone disc boot without the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media CD?

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

3. dausten

dausten Registered Member

Thanks. I'm cloning XP. Not sure what you mean by checking drive letters.

4. jonyjoe81

Download the demo of "paragon justboot corrector", burn the iso to a boot cd, use that to boot up your computer. The program will look inside the registry of your non-booting hard drive. Your system drive drive letter needs to be c: (if you installed xp in the default drive). If it's not c: then thats your problem.

The only time my cloned drive wouldn't boot, it's always been because the drive letter got changed around during the restoration. Changing it back to it's original letter will fix you up.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

dausten, most probably you have not removed the target hard drive after the cloning operation and booted your computer with the both drives connected. Please note that it's necessary to not boot your operating system with both drives connected because it can cause some booting and drive letters issues.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

6. meshael

meshael Registered Member

What can you do after you have already made this mistake, as I have, and have my computer system files on my F drive but all file changes and additions are happening on my C drive. F is now the system drive and it is Drive 0. C is Drive 1. I am having a hell of a time trying to get all of my files on just one drive.

Thanks

7. jonyjoe81

If you have a floppy drive and a windows98 boot floppy you might try the "fdisk/mbr" command, that will trick the registry into releasing the drive letters and when the computer reboots windows will automatically label the system drive c: .
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method1

Me I would just use Paragon justboot corrector and change the drive letter back to c: a simple 5 minute fix. That's the only way I fix drive letters, I wouldn't attempt to recover a hard drive unless I had a sure way of changing drive letters quickly. From my expierence it's always quicker to fix the problem after you restored the hard drive than to try and redo everything all over again. But from you describe, once you got a restored hard drive that boots at least half way, you can usually fix it.
    Just remember that for drive letter problems, repair installations of windows, fixmbr, fixboot won't fix it. You need to get into the registry of the cloned hard drive. You can use the windows repair console to get in there but it requires you to know how to input dos commands.

The only thing I see that is strange is why your clone will boot when you insert your acronis boot disk. Thats something that I have never read about here in the forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.