Clone without swap disk space???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by roxx1, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxx1

roxx1 Registered Member

I just got a new laptop with 100gb hdd...
    I have segate 80gb portable USB hdd... which I have successfully cloned from my laptop.....(I have turned Windows XP pro's page file/virtual memory/swap disk OFF)

Now the test is successful... and I am about to divide my Laptop HDD to two partitions c:80gb d:20gb thus if i full clone... the laptop's 80gb can fit into my usb portable 80gb unit..... since space at premium... i am planning to put xp and photoshop's swap space in to d:20gb partition.

now the question is if something does go wrong, and if i replace my laptop's 100gb with portable unit's 80gb...., will my xp come up normallyo_O even after the swap disk space is totally gone..?

I am using True Image 8.0

ALSO second question is Steganos Security Suite 5.0 any good?

Please follow-up on the Steganos Security Suite in this other thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=75100

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2005
  2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, roxx1

Welccome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Please, there is no need to double post.

The only sure way to know is to do a Test run by Disabling the Laptop HDD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2005
  3. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

Why on earth would you want to disable the pagefile is beyond me. In any case, the data written to page is volatil, so you shouldn't have any problems, however you need to read up on pagefile, virtual memory topics not to do inane stuff like disabling the pagefile at any time.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you look at the size of the image? TrueImage only includes the disk sectors that contain data and it compresses the data. Your 100GB drive will easily fit on the 80GB USB drive even if you used every possible sector.

I think you are making a great deal of work for yourself by not clearly understanding how drive imaging works.l

Start by right clicking the C drive on the laptop and selecting Properties. How much of the drive is used? Assuming Normal compression, you can expect the image to be about 2/3 the size of the used portion of the drive. In other words, if you have 30GB used on C on the laptop, the image would probably be about 20GB if you select Normal compression.

Does that help?

5. roxx1

roxx1 Registered Member

thanks for the input...
    Because I am having such difficult timin getting the boot disk or boot cd to work property with my laptop...(mine does not have bootable cd drive nor floppy drive....currently...) I thought I can just create exact duplicates to second drive and if some thing goes wrong... I would simply replace the hard drive...(just one screw job on my machine)... maybe do full backup ones a week or before I travel....

In mean time I hope to do incremental image backup to desktop via 54mbp network(wireless)... I have heard and experienced some horrorable situations where these incremental backups don't restore properly...
    This is why I wanted have secondary full back up (not image).....

and I usually don't turn off page file.... I just did it this time to save some confusion for me between laptop, usb drive, and desktop hdd..
    I have been playing around with the True Image 8 for a while today....

and I now realize that True Image 8 will not just clone a partition as I hoped...

which makes me more frustrated.... this means according to my original plan, i would need to delete and shrink my 100gb files to 80gb .. when i try to clone it to 80gb usb hdd.... i was hoping to clone 80gb partition from my 100gb laptop to 80gb usb drive.....(not possible as it seems)

alternative will be to spend another $$200 for another 100gb notebook drive...
    hmmm... not a good option for me at the moment....

anyways... i've made a mistake partitioning today... and had to put back my 80gb drive to my laptop and put back 100gb to usb casing... and try to repeat the True Image cloning again....

well.... some reason...after windows reboots, it says it can not find my drive.... i am doing exact same thing as the first time i cloned it... it can not find the usb drive today.... (segate 100gb usb portable drive)

Thank god i still have data in my 80gb...which is now reinstalled back to my laptop....

However i still want to switch it with 100gb drive like the last time...

What can i do to make the true image see my usb drive.??

i admit i am an amature at this... but willing to learn....

thanks in advance for any insights.... mean while i will try to check the forum for previous suggestions regarding TI not seeing drives....

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello roxx1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (800) of Acronis True Image 8.0, to get the latest build please register your account at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/registration/ and then register your product at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. After that you can download the latest build at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/updates/.

Please note that you cannot clone the 80 gb partition to the USB drive, because "Clone Disk" wizard allows transferring the operating system, applications and data of an entire hard drive. You can create the image of the 80gb partition and store it on the USB drive.

Could you please clarify what you mean by 'it can not find the usb drive'? What wizard of Acronis True Image do you use when this problem appears? Please make the screenshots of all your actions in this wizard and also create Acronis Report and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will certainly help you with the solution

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.