Clone will not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acronisnumbskull, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acronisnumbskull

acronisnumbskull Registered Member

Hello, I have cloned my HD to an external USB HD with Acronis True Image Home 10 (15 dya trial), but when I try to boot from it I get a black screen with this message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start succesfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."
    Then it gives me a choice of trying to boot in Safe mode, Safe mode with networking...ect. But all choices lead to the same message above. Any idea on what I might try? Thanks.

Ps. I did go into BIOS and changed the Hard disk boot priority to boot from the USB HD

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

While your hardware may support booting from a USB drive, Windows XP does not.

3. acronisnumbskull

acronisnumbskull Registered Member

Wonderful, anyway thanks.

4. Peter Ward

Peter Ward Registered Member

According to Microsoft, Windows cannot be booted from a USB drive, but I have found a way around it (or found somebody else who has!).

Check this link http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

It describes very clearly how to rebuild a Win XP install disk with USB support. You must then install to your USB drive.

It was a piece of cake and works perfectly.

Pward

5. Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding Registered Member

All that said guys.

I've had the same problem cloning my C: drive and it's hanging just like this guys.

I've tried it on both machines and it won't restore either to the C: drive on a normal image backup. Still get bank screens and hangs.

Personally, I think version 10 is full of issues and bugs and really should not be used.

~Non-support related comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.