Clone vs Full Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fenderplayer_62, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderplayer_62

fenderplayer_62 Registered Member

I am running True Image 11 on Vista 64. I also have two (2) identical 500GB SATA hard drives in my PC. One is my primary drive and the other is the backup drive where the .tib file writes to (full_backup.tib on Sunday morning, differential_backup.tib the other days of the week). I would like to use the backup drive as an EXACT image of the primary drive so that, in the event of failure of the primary drive, I can simply swap the physical drives and get up and running immediately. Other than the CLONE option, which runs in pre-boot stage on a sector-by-sector level, there does not appear to be a way to "schedule" this in TI 11. Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I suggest the purchase of a third hard drive and continue using the second internal drive to store your daily backup images.

At a convenient time, after the latest image is made remove the current main drive and replace it with the extra drive. Boot from the recovery CD and restore the latest image to the new main drive.
    Your old main drive is now the emergency replacement drive waiting to take over in a disaster situation or to be updated with the next main drive swap over.

I have used this method for a long while and it is virtually fire proof. Whatever the failure, be it software or hardware, you are still good to go.

Xpilot

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's a good idea to keep the "3rd" drive in a different geographic location except when using it. Greater chance of being able to get up and running quickly something happens to the PC, desk or room. -- sh-- happens or we wouldn't need backup software at all ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.