Clone raid 1 to raid 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pdub0626, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdub0626

pdub0626 Registered Member

I have a Windows 2003 server with an adaptec 1200 IDE raid card, and two 40GB western digital harddrives setup with a raid 1 configuration. I am running out of harddrive space and need to upgrade the harddrives and also get better performance.

Will True Image let me clone or make a image of the raid 1 configuration and then clone or copy that image to a raid 10 configuration?

If True Image will not work can you suggest another Acronis product that will?

Thanks in Advance.

2. DS-MP

DS-MP Guest

It should work.

The only issue may be in the OS if you are using the raid software within the OS. If the raid configuration is done in the cards bios or via a boot cd for the raid card, I dont think you will have an issue.

Its all in how the space is presented to the OS.

A useful thing to do might be to create an image of the current system.
    Run sysprep against the system to remove all the devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577&sd=tech
    Create an image of the sysprep'd system.
    (Make sure your images are on a seperate media from the drives to be used in the raid)

reconfigure the raid to your liking and then boot from the TI cdrom.
    Last.. restore the Sysprep'd Image to the drive and see if it boots.

If all goes right you will need to install the drives for whatever devices you have and your done..

If it fails you can just reconfigure the raid back to its old state and restore the 1st image.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pdub0626,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We recommend you to use Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows for your purposes.

Using Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows you will be able to create an image of your system saving it to any type of supported media and then restore this image to the new RAID array.

I will also agree with DS-MP and strongly recommend you to prepare your Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep). Please read more about transferring the system to a different hardware here.

As I have understood you are planning to install new RAID controller. This means that your newly restored operating system might not boot, because of a lack of appropriate drivers for the new RAID controller.

In this case you will need to boot your PC from the Windows 2003 installation CD and perform Windows Repair Installation. This will keep all your data and applications untouched and will also allow you to install the appropriate drivers for the new RAID controller.

If you have no plans to install new RAID controller, but just reconfigure the old one, then everything should work fine without Windows Repair Installation.

Here is the basic scheme:

- Create an image;
    - Install new hard drives and RAID controller;
    - Configure your new RAID;
    - Restore an image;
    - Boot server as ususal;
    - In case it does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image Server 8.0 for Windows in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.