clone or image??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Razzputin, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razzputin

Razzputin Registered Member

What is the difference between clone and an image?
    It seems an Image is easier. In what instance would you reccomend using the clone feature?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Typical scenario for Cloning is when you buy a new and larger hard drive and want to copy over your existing drive. The Cloned drive will be immediately bootable.

Imaging creates a compressed file of your entire drive - and you would keep the image on another drive (some use DVD media) for Restoring in case the original goes bad. This Image can be updated as you add files or programs.

That's it in a nutshell.

3. Razzputin

Thanks . Now I have one other question though:
    when you transfer over your image when/how does it become bootable?

4. Chutsman

The Restore process puts the new drive in the same state as the original from which the Image was made.

BTW, one caveat with Cloning. When you clone a drive, at the end of the process, you must shut down the computer, disconnect or remove the original, BEFORE attempting to test the clone by booting from it.

5. Razzputin

Thank you. That is very clear .:D

6. stantech1

stantech1 Registered Member

Once an mage is been restored to the target drive, how is it made bootable.o_O

7. Chutsman

The Restore process will make it just like the original drive, which was bootable.

8. dsrpilot

dsrpilot Registered Member

Hope no one minds if I tag onto this thread as it's close to my question.

I need to clone a harddrive in a LAPTOP. Can't put two drives in at the same time, but I'm trying to go from 40GB to a 60GB drive.

From what I've read of TI, it doesn't look like I can do this. Am I missing something?

9. pengquadrat

pengquadrat Registered Member

You could buy (or lean) an external USB enclosure for the 2nd drive, then clone the build-in disk to the external disk. After cloning, shut down the computer instantly (don't let Windows touch the new disk) and switch the disks ... and your done. You end up with build-in 60GB an additional 40GB USB disk that you can use for backups.

Joachim

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

dsrpilot,

You can also do that by creating the image of the 40GB and restoring it to the 60GB after phisical drive replacement. You need some storage for the image, though.

As suggested by pengquadrat, an external HD would be the best option and it would serve as image storage later on.

Or, if your present 40GB is less than 60% full, you can temporarily store the image right on it, copy the image (split into 1492 MB file chunks during image creation) to DVDs and restore to the 60GB from them.

The third option is to create the image directly to DVDs. You need Roxio Drag-to-Disk or Nero InCD for this operation. See the FAQ and search this forum for more info about that.

Addendum: To restore (now Recovery), you'll need the Rescue CD to boot from.

11. dsrpilot

dsrpilot Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I was able to expand the image upon restore. From the documentation it didn't sound as if that would be possible as they talked about a sector by sector copy which lead me to believe the restore had to be the same size as the backup. Luckily, they built some magic into the restore where you can expand the size of the partition upon restore.

Worked like a charm. Tried it on my daughter's laptop first, before I messed with my work machine.

I used an external USB hard drive to store the image. After I had practiced on this less critical laptop, I did the same on my work machine.

Sweet product!

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Some father ! :D

13. Chutsman

LOL, bVolk ... was thinking the same thing ... just joking with you drsPilot. :D :D Glad the program worked for you.

14. profitxchange

profitxchange Registered Member

Re the comment about disconnecting a 2nd cloned hd.

Whilst Acronis recommend this I have run two identical drives side by side since I purchased TI9 well over 6 months ago.

My whole point was to have two identical drives either of which I am able to boot from.

I clone the master across to the slave (hard wired) from time to time as my back-up process. I can boot from the slave at start-up by selecting it with F11 (on my set-up.)

I can also use the slave to play with things without risk of loosing the data or anything else I can Just clone the m,aster across anytime to sort out any problems.

I have requested Acronis to provide scheduled cloning as a wish list item.

Hope this helps.

15. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Interesting. Are your drives PATA or SATA?

In spite of your success I would not recommend anyone boot a cloned drive with the original still in the system until the first successful boot has been completed. After that it is fine. This restriction is due to XP's method of remembering partion identifiers and is not a quirk of True Image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.