Clone of VISTA not activated anymore!?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by struppi66, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. struppi66

struppi66 Registered Member

Hi Folks

I copied with DD10 the System-Partition C: (Windows Vista) from HD1 to HD2.
    Windows Vista was activated on the source HD1. The copy on HD2 isn'to_O . It shows me that i have to activate Vista during the next 3 days. What's wrong? Any Ideas?

Thanx

Struppi

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

This problem didn't arise with XP on my machine. Could it be that Vista's "hash" targets Hard Disks?

3. struppi66

struppi66 Registered Member

Hi

I don't know if Vista "hashes" the Harddisk. But i can not imagine, that Microsoft should do this. For sure, i'm not the only one who wants to test a OS with a Image or Partition-Tool. So, does everybody who do this has to call the Microsoft Activation-Hotline after Restoring a Systempartition?

Does somebody have more/other Information?

Thanx

Struppi66

4. Mark_Phelps

Mark_Phelps Registered Member

Vista is becoming the all-time pain regarding Validation. The MS support forum has LOTS of posts from customers with Valid licenses whose Vista machines suddenly become "invalid". The response from the MS "help" desk folks is that ANY (that's right, ANY!) hardware change runs the risks of unvalidating your Vista machine.

I'm not "bashing MS"; I'm just reporting what their own forum reveals. If you want confirmation of this, visit:

http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?siteid=25

... and select the Windows Vista Validation Issues forum. You will see post after post after post regarding the validation problems.

So, the short answer is that no-one is really sure WHAT MS hashes for its validation checks, but experience has shown that Hard Disk ID is one of them. Thus. moving a valid Vista install from one HDD to another HDD will "break" validation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.