Clone New Drive For Dell 4700

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NolaGuy, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NolaGuy

NolaGuy Registered Member

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 computer with a Maxtor 80GB SATA hard drive. I just bought a new Western Digital 250GB SATA Hard drive (WD2500KS).

I want to install the new Hard Drive (HD) and transfer (Clone) the whole system from the old HD to the new. I want to keep my old HD on the computer as a 2nd drive for Data backup (but keep all system files/data on it for now until I know that the new drive is working properly).

I came here because I read that Acronis had software that will do the job right. I see that there is Acronis True Image 10 and Migrate Easy 7. I think I only need Migrate Easy because all I want to do is clone. But will use True Image if you think that will be better

I've done some reading about my system and the HD. I understand that with my Dell there are 2 hidden partitions (FAT & FAT32, with Dell Diagnostics, restore, etc) along with the windows/data partition (NTFS).

-If I use Migrate Easy does that copy the hidden partitions as well?

-Will the data, programs, etc in the hidden partitions work/run after cloning? And the partitons remain their respectable FAT's?

-Will the hidden partitions stay the same size when tranfered or will they expand proportionately ( I want to use as little space as possible for the hidden partitions or keep those sizes the same as on the old HD) like the windows/data partition?

- Do I need to do anything to the new HD after I physically install it and before using Migrate Easy?

I just want the process to go as smooth as possible and avoid any headaches.

Thanx! :)

Here's are my old HD partition volumes (from Device Manager):
    Disk #0, Partition #0 47.03MB
    Disk #0, Partition #1 73,155MB
    Disk #0, Partition #2 3,077MB

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NolaGuy,

Thank you your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, while including all of Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 functionality, is mainly designed as a powerful backup tool that ensures your data to be safe in the case of a drive failure or other disaster. Therefore, if you are going to use your old drive for storing backups, we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

You can download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version, you will be able to fully use the product for a period of 15 days. The only limitation of Acronis True Image 10.0 trial version is that you can only restore an image when you run the program from the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows.

During cloning procedure Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 as well as Acronis True Image 10.0 Home copies the entire hard disk, so all partitions will be copied regardless their hidden state.

After cloning all partitions will retain their respective file systems, and all data will remain in the same state of functionality it was prior cloning.

During the cloning procedure you can either leave partitions the same size, or resize them – proportionally or manually. For detailed explanation on how to do that refer to chapter 13.4 “Cloning with manual partitioning“ of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide.
    Notice, however, that the size of hidden system partitions is probably set by vendor for a reason, so resizing might render them unusable.

You do not need any other than physical install preparations before using Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 as well as Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

There are many issues with what you want to do that the Acronis Support reply fails to consider. In fact, their reply to you misses your most important concern - that you will have full functionality of your Dell features AFTER you clone. The Acronis reply is typical of their aim to sell more software rather than to provide in-depth technical support addressing their customers' actual needs.

In any event, the first issue with your goals is leaving the original drive operational AFTER you clone it to the new drive. This forum is filled with threads about how you CANNOT do that and why, so please research them to understand some of the many problems with trying to do that.

The next issue is whether any version of TI will successfully clone a SATA drive. There are many threads discussing a host of problems and workarounds for cloning SATA to SATA drives. Again, you should research them to gain a better understanding of some of the risks involved in trying to do what you want to do.

There are also a number of threads discussing how various versions of TI have "wiped" the original drive during cloning even though, like yourself, the users claim they didn't want to clean off their original drive. There are risks here, as well.

As far as whether you will have full functionality of your Dell partitions after cloning and/or imaging later on, you can read my previous replies (there are many) which detail what the outcomes WILL be if you do or do not do certain things either in the cloning setup process or during the imaging and restore process. Dell partitions are THE MOST LIKELY not to function properly unless you follow rigid and limited procedures during cloning and imaging with TI. Please research them before you experiment with TI Trial because once you damage them you are effectively screwed.

Good luck and learn to rely on your fellow users in this forum and COMPLETELY disregard the cursory, misleading and erroneous advice you'll get from Acronis "Support".

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I'm in agreement with Bobdat about the difficulties associated with trying to clone a Dell computer while still preserving the Dell PC Restore Partition. What I wonder about it whether this Dell PC Restore Partition is worth keeping. All it is finally is a Symantec Ghost image of your system which Dell chooses to install on your computer thereby avoiding the need for their "help technicians" to do extensive troubleshooting in case of problems. All they have to do is to tell you to restore your computer to its 'as shipped' condition.

But is this really the best alternative? 'As shipped' condition means you lose all applications you may have installed on your computer. Would it not be better to simply create multiple Acronis images of your system stored on a Slave or on an External drive? Then, in case of a disaster, to boot from the Acronis Rescue disk which runs in a Linux environment and restore the latest Acronis image rather than the outdated Symantec Ghost image. And if need be, create your own Acronis pristine image once you've deleted all the "freebies" that Dell always includes on a new computer. That way your pristine image will be far superior to the Symantec Ghost image.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.