Clone Mistake

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KLINK, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLINK

KLINK Registered Member

I downloaded the Trial version of TI9. It said it was fully functional for 15 days. I used the clone tool to clone my 120gig main drive with 5 partitions to a 160 gig, USB external drive. Everything moved to the new drive with no problems, but I selected Destroy old data by mistake and cannot boot to that drive. I used the TI recovery cd and got to the last page and could not select Proceed. The message said that was only available in the paid version. If that is the case why did it say it was fully functional? How do I get everything back to original drive if I don't purchase TI9?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If this is not a laptop, can you remove the hard drive from the external enclosure and put it in place of the drive in the desktop? This is also a good way to test the Clone.

3. KLINK

KLINK Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    It is a WD HD. I don't see any easy way to get into the case. That is what Best Buy said that was what they would do. It would void the warranty and cost $89.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Can you reinstall the OS, download and install TI again and then run the restore from the internal HD?

5. KLINK

KLINK Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. If nothing easier comes up in the next few days I'll try the reinstall.

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you are using WinXP, this may be worth trying if you don't want to lose data or installed programs. Boot with the bootable TI cd and re-clone the external back to the 120 gig drive.

Then boot with your WinXP cd and do a Repair. The Repair feature you want is the second one that is presented in the dialogue windows. Do not use the first instance of a Repair. At this window select the other choice and I think it is the next window that will have the second Repair feature.

Some versions of XP do not have the second Repair feature so if in the next two dialogue windows you don't see the second Repair feature, cancel out of the process.

Let us know if it works.

BTW, since that external drive is not one that you could get into to remove the drive then for future, instead of cloning, do an Image Backup.

7. KLINK

KLINK Registered Member

Thanks for the input.
    I have a trial version of TI9.I tried to re-clone back to the 120gig. drive, but when I get to the last step(Proceed) it says that I cannot do this in the trial version even though it is supposed to be Fully Functional.

I forgot to mention, When I tried to use the Recovery cd, I could not use the first option. The usb option that was listed first gave me this error message:

USB.C" USB device not accepting new address (error 110). I had to use the second option.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  8. KLINK

KLINK Registered Member

I had to go with the suggestion from TheWeaz. After getting XP back on the internal drive and getting the needed programs and drivers installed(1-2Hrs.),I used TI9 to clone back to the internal drive. The original clone from the internal to the external drive took a little over 2 hrs. The clone from the external to the internal drive took 18 hrs., but everything is working so far.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.