Clone help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gunga, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunga

gunga Registered Member

I want to install a new hard drive... my current main IDE hard drive seems to have irrevocable errors...so I figure I'll use the "Clone" tool...question...will that just copy the errors as well? I don't know if I have physical damage, or if there are bad sectors that won't be fixed by Check Disk...

Or

If I choose to install a new drive, then Windows, then TI, then restore a decent image, is that better? I want to leave the drive errors in the dust, if you catch my drift. Thanks,,,gunga

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What sort of errors does your current drive have? Do you mean bad sectors as shown by ChkDsk? Are programs crashing or locking up? Random Blue Screen of Death errors?

If you restore an image, it will overwrite anything already on that partition, so if you installed Windows then TI and restored an image, that's what you would have. The Windows installation with TI would be overwritten completely by the image contents.

If you make an image of a Windows installation that is corrupt, it will be corrupt when restored.

If you use CHKDSK /F to mark out bad sectors on an old drive, and Windows runs normally after that, then the image will run fine when you restore it to a new drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gunga,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what error you have? I would also recommend you to check your disk (please right click on the disk in "My Computer", choose "Properties" -> "Tools" -> "Check now"). Please check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box then please let us know the result. Please also note that if you have bad sectors on your partition and create the image archive of this partition the information about bad sectors will be restored from the image (or cloned from the original disk). The fix is to perform the operations with resizing.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.