Clone Disk Not Working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mike2006, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike2006

mike2006 Registered Member

Hello - I used the clone disk a few months back one time and it worked fine. I recently got a larger hard drive again and tried and it is not working. I did not a quick format on the drive (which probably wasn't necessary) but I have one other question before the details so a total of 2 questions:

1. When I create my regular backups where I create an image file and differential backup I was wondering if there is a way to restore the image to a new hard drive and make everything bootable (assuming the old hard drive went bad and I could no longer boot it). I was wondering if I could boot off of an older bootable backup I made and then somehow restore the image to that older bootable backup.

2. I did download the latest version and it still does not work. I click Operations, Clone Disk. I then go through all the steps. I then do the reboot as Acronis tells me to. It then reboots windows (perhaps in a "safe mode" or something) and it says Analyzing Partitions and gets to 100%, it then says Locking Partitions and gets to 100%, it then says Checking (or it might say Checking Partitions I think) and it sits at 0% for a few minutes and then just says ALL DONE. I know it's not done because I have well over 60 gigs to backup and it should take hours. I then just continue to boot off the old hard drive and check the new one and I see nothing is on the drive.

Can anyone help me with these questions?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. mike2006

3. mike2006

Hello - I don't want to discuss #2 on two seperate threads so I would like to just continue that at:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=124377

There's definitely something wierd about disk cloning and the USB but I'll describe new info at that thread. In the meantime I still need help with my question #1.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mike2006,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please find the answer to your question below:

Yes, it is possible to complete this task. You will be able to restore the image you created before to the new hard drive and after that you will be able to use this hard drive in case your original drive or system on the drive fails.

Please note that the image of the partition does not contains MBR while the image of the entire hard drive does. Therefore, if you restore to the new hard drive image of the system partition then you will need to fix Mater Boot Record (MBR) of the drive. Please find information about how to fix MBR at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

Could you please clarify what do you mean by "bootable backup"?

Could you please let us know the build number of the product, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number)?

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

Please also try to clone the hard drive when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. mike2006

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.