Clone disk error "missing operating system"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Unluckypixie, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unluckypixie

Unluckypixie Guest

Hello.

I have downloaded the trial version of true image 8 because I heard great things about it! I am trying to juggle around some hard drives I have so I actually want to "downgrade" my 80gb to two 40gb's I have (all maxtor PATA 133 drives).

My current 80gb drive is partitioned into 12gb and the rest (~68gb). I cleared all the stuff from the large partition onto a network drive and copied the remaining onto one of the 40gb's then removed that drive and put it somewhere safe and installed the other that I want to copy the system drive onto.

So I now have an 80gb drive with a 12gb "C:" partition and an (empty) 60gb "D:" partition and I want to use the "disk clone" to copy this onto the 40gb drive. When I run the clone tool and select "keep partition sizes" it tells me I will end up with a 12gb and a 28gb which is fine. It then says it will be three steps and I need to reboot. So I let it. I copies over the first drive in a reasonable time and then the second one quickly (as you'd hope coz it's empty!) and then lots of space scrolls up the screen and it says it is complete.

So I remove the 80gb and put the 40gb where the 80gb was - however, when I turn on the computer it says "missing operating system". I have tried this many times using different settings in the "clone disk" feature. I have even tried removing the large partition so there is only one partition to copy and have tried it filling the drive and the original size, same problem every time.

The 40gb drive has the same jumper settings (i.e. master) as the 80gb and was being used in my server until recently so should not be faulty. I have tried booting to a dos prompt (from a win98 cd) and the files all appear to have copied.

What am I doing wrong?! When the software is performing the copy it does not attempt to do anything with the floppy drive does it? because I don't have one installed!! :eek:

2. Unluckypixie

Unluckypixie Guest

Sorry ... I forgot to mention that my OS is windows XP SP2!

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Unluckypixie

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

I have never used the trial version.
    But I do not think the trial actualy completes any of the operations for real.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Unluckypixie

Unluckypixie Guest

That might well be the case! But when you start the trial version it does imply that it will work because it says "The trial version of Acronis True Image is fully operational but works only for 15 days"...

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Unluckypixie,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. Unluckypixie

Unluckypixie Guest

Um ... did you miss the bit about me not having a floppy drive installed!! I have downloaded it tho and I will mail the version that is created from windows. ;)

7. MartinH

MartinH Registered Member

There is one thing that isn't possible in the trial:
    You can't restore an image if you boot in the "stand-alone" mode (out of windows).
    But imaging isn't cloning.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Unluckypixie,

We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution. If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.