Clone a Raid?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by joel406, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

I need to clone a raid configuration. The OS is 2003 Small bus. server so I know I need to use the echo server 9.5, but I am going to need to clone the 2 raid drives(both 80gb) to 2 new 400gb drives. Each of the 80gb drives is cut into 2 identicaly sized partitions. So the C: drive is a partition on each and the E: drive is the other 2 partitions.

Can I clone?

2. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

You don't say what kind of RAID. It makes a difference. I clone my RAID 1 array regularly to an external HDD equal in size. I have used that capability to rebuild the RAID 1 array. The cloned drive is not RAID. If you can clone a RAID 0 array to a single drive big enough to hold it, then it too can be used to rebuild the array with new drives. But . . . RAID arrays must be built by the RAID controller.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI should be blind to whether a disk is RAID or not and likewise when you restore. Same for cloning. The only two issues are these -- does ATI work with your particular hardware and is the clone going to be used onthe same machine. If not used on same machine, then the drivers on the clone might not be the right ones for the new machine.

As mentioned above, the clone will not be a RAID but you can create one using the clone, and additional harddisk and the RAID management software you used originally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.