clock

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks snowbound :D

2. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thank you IC
    I will check it out--hopefully I dont have a problem now-I'll know for sure in a day or two.
    Rita

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yep, i hope your computer doesnt have a problem too :) . if you have a couple of minutes spare, you can read about Karen's Time Sync here

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanks IC
    I will check it out--always have a spare moment to learn something :)
    Rita

IC
    I checked it out--it seems like it would be simple to use-a plus-i may wait a day or two to see if I have anything wrong such as a battery,then if I dont I'll probaly download it--again thanks

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

well,clock is still right this morning too--maybe its gonna be ok after all
    Rita

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi
    today the clock lost 3 hours,i was wondering if there is any way you could check the battery to make sure it's bad before you make a trip to the shop?I mean other than the clock losing time.would there be some kind of utility that a person could run that would tell?I thought the clock had quit losing time and it had for awhile but today it's started again-thanks
    Rita

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Rita....what is your habit for shutting this PC down....every night ?

If you do re-boot each day and if you know how to get into your BIOS set-up....perhaps for the next few days you could go right into your BIOS and see what the time says. If that is correct....perhaps an internal software program is causing this ?

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

maybe someone who knows what they're talking about could check on post 25?

however, i just found a battery checker from an unknown site. at this site. down the page if you click on Battery Checker. again, i dont know what to say about if you should download it or not, sorry

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

You can remove the battery and check its voltage. A reading higher than 1.25 VOLT DC will be sufficient to keep the correct time. You still need to contact the vendor to document the problem. If you wait too long, then the vendor may force you to accept a refurbished PC instead of a brand new replacement.

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

bubba
    I reboot every day,but i dont know how to go into the BIOS.how do I do this?Is there anything I can mess up if I would try it?thanks
    Rita

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you re-boot every day then the CMOS clock should be updating the Windows clock.

As for getting into the BIOS and screwing something up....it is no different than looking around at the files on your PC or looking in the registry....as long as your looking....nothing can happen. If your not wanting to do that....I can understand....but you need to somehow figure out if it is the CMOS(system) clock or Windows clock losing time. Windows can definetly lose time and become out of sync from the system clock.

Try noticing the Windows time tonight when you shut down....look at it tomorrow when you turn on PC and then when you turn off tomorrow. Do that a few days and see what happens. I'm also in agrrement with nod_32 and anyone else I over looked. If it's indeed a hardware problem....let them fix it now before warranty runs out.

It's not always cut and dry that the battery is bad....since screesavers, AV programs, APM(advanced powere management)....etc....can cause these symptoms.

BTW....the clock was good on the 13th and not good on the 18th(today)....did you check the time anytime in between those times ?

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Yes the clock has been fine every day till today,another thing i noticed today that I just thought of,when I come home the printer had turned itself on and also copy and fax was on too and i couldnt turn it off.I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it so I could turn it off.It is a new printer also.It's fine now after I plugged it back in.this has happened with the printer a couple of times previously also,but not for awhile.I dont know if these two things could be related or not.i need to watch I guess if the printer is on next time the clock is wrong.could it be a faulty plug in or something?

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If your meaning a faulty plugin for the clock....the PC can be stored away for awhile....not even plugged in and a lithium battery will\should keep the CMOS clock humming right along.

However....if your meaning the printer, fax, copier mysteriously turning on....that IS a horse of a different color :)

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

i meant faulty surge protector,anyway I guess I,m just grasping at straws hoping it's not in the computer.I thought the two things might be connected(printer turning on)and the clock being wrong-I'm kinda dumb where computers etc.are concerned as you can see.Guess I'll just call the computer guy and have him see if I need the battery and get it fixed.--thanks
    Rita

15. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Nod32
    I wish I had the no how to do as you suggested.I would do it but I'd probaly really tear something up so I guess I'll call someone and have it checked out--thanks
    Rita

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi IC
    maybe I will try it--guess it couldnt hurt-but in the end i guess I'll have someone check it out and see if i need a battery-which I'm figuring i do--thanks for link
    rita

17. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Best to take it in for them to replace the battery. It's very rare for software to alter your clock. What you do have preloaded in MSCONFIG's STARTUP tab? Disconnect the printer from the PC if you suspect it to be the cause of your problem.

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Nod
    Here is what I have loaded on startup

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

20. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I'd kill:

remote control: if you don't need this feature on your DVD drive.
    nerofiltercheck
    faxcenterserver4
    kernelfaultcheck
    quicktimetask
    gcasserv (don't know about this item)
    big fix
    webshot
    inCD

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

to Bubba and nod :)
    im at a friends house on his computer, he's going into hospital tomorrow and im going to reinstall his OS while he's there.
    did you read the link below? if you didnt please take a quick look :) , because as this computer is being reinstalled shall i download and run Battery Checker?
    http://www.ultimatepcrepair.com/news/5.html

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this is from the readme...
    please tell me if im helping, or i should leave this thread :) thanks

BATTERY CHECKER v1.3
    ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
    This program gives you a graphic representation of the condition of your
    batteries. This includes...

Main Batteries
    Lithium
    RAM SSD Batteries
    External power
    3Fax Batteries

It will also tell you if you have enough battery voltage to write to FLASH,
    or to hear Sound. This can be very helpful.

NEW IN 1.2 - 1.3

. New icon - make sure you re-install the app to the system screen to see it.
    . ROM Version added to menu
    . New Mains adaptor - watch it change when you plug in the mains.
    . Correctly identify Write protected, and all other types of SSD devices.
    . New graphic pops up when battery level goes down to very low. Watch carefully.
    . Reading of 1800 mV forces Main battery indicator to show "Low".

3FAX BATTERIES

Battery Checker will now read your 3Fax Battery status. The 3Fax doesn't
    give you a "Good/Low" reading. It only shows you amount of time you have on
    the batteries, and the date they were inserted. Choose this option from the
    menu. NOTE: The 3Fax does not need to be connected for Battery Checker to give
    you the readings. This is kept in an environment variable on your S3a.

CHECKING BATTERIES

One of the nicer functions of the Battery Checker is to check your battery
    strength by putting a load on the battery, and watching it to see if it holds
    up. This is the same way a battery in a car is checked. However, in order to
    put a load on your S3a battery, the best way is to copy files over a 3Link.
    Set some files to copy, and jump back into the Battery Checker. If you see
    the main batteries jump down into the "Very Low" area, these batteries are
    probably no good. If it jumps down into "Low", you may have a few hours left
    on your batteries, unless they are nicads, in which case they may die any
    minute. Of course, you have to experiment with your own batteries.

Battery Checker 1.3 will now show the condition of RAM SSD batteries, if and
    only if they are the newer style RAM SSD's. Older RAM SSD's don't have the
    necessary hardware to report battery levels. By default, Battery Checker shows
    you both SSD Slots. You will see the SSD type on the bottom of the icon for
    each SSD, labeled "A" and "B". Types being "FLASH" , or "RAM".

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey iceni60,

I downloaded the battery checker you referred to and it appears to be for a PDA(personal digital assistant) ?

From the readme.txt that was part of the download:

"INSTALLATION
    ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
    To install Battery Checker, just copy the Battery.opa file into any
    \App\ directory on your Psion Series 3a. Next, press Psion<I> from the
    system screen to install the Battery.opa icon."

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

You can beat yourself up if you want BUT you attempted to assist with Rita's problem and that's what we are all here for. Unfortunately....you can't wear the dunce hat right now....I have iit on :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004
  25. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I have not tested this program. It is possible to check the in-circuit battery voltage IF the motherboard supports that function. But I doubt this is achievable with today's cheaper/faster world economy. The lithium cell is designed to run in your PC for at least 7 years. Because the current draw is so low, you can get a very accurate state of charge of the battery simply by removing it, and checking the voltage across the +/- junctions. Anything north of 1.25 VDC is okay.

If you don't have a voltmeter, then you can replace the battery. It's probably a $3 item at Radio Schack. I believe the P/N is CR2032.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.