clock

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

my computer clock wont keep the right time-loses a couple of hours a day.what would cause this?thanks
    rita

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    We could not tell you about the cause but a good solution can be to try Dimension 4. It may be the best clock synchroniser yet! :eek:

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks Q section will check it out
    Rita

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Rita,

Maybe its time to change your battery!

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The system clock is losing time or not keeping time accurately

Explanation: The system clock is not accurate; it loses a number of minutes each day, or stops incrementing the time when the system is turned off.

Diagnosis: The most common cause of this problem is the CMOS battery, which also backs up the date and time so it isn't lost when the machine is turned off. A weak CMOS battery can lead to problems with the real-time clock even if the battery isn't weak enough to cause the loss of BIOS settings. Some motherboards apparently disable the clock as a power-saving measure when the battery voltage gets low. Of course, sometimes the problem with the clock is simply that it is inaccurate. As motherboards get cheaper and cheaper in both price and construction, the quality of some of these components gets very questionable.

bigc

6. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

How do I change a battery?or is it something I'll have to get someone to do at the shop?thanks
    Rita

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

computer was built this year.hope it doesnt need another one already,which will probaly mean a trip to the shop,if its on the motherboard I know i cant do it-thanks for reply
    Rita

9. bigc73542

Depending on the make of the computer the battery could be almost anywhere on the mother board. But thay are usually about 3/4 inch and flat, they are just clipped in a holder on the Mob. if you are comfortable taking the case off of the computer I am sure the you will be able to see it on the Mob. The actual battery can be bought at almost any store that sells camera and watch batteries.it shouldn't cost over two dollasr.

bigc

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

bigc
    At least the part is cheap :D but if I would start messing around in the inside of computer i'm afraid it would be a complete castrophe :D maybe i'll just let it have the wrong time-I can deal with that since i really dont need the clock
    Rita

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I guess that would be the problem--thanks for replying
    Rita

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Rita,

Better to get it replaced!

13. bigc73542

It is possible it could affect the bios, not necessarily but if you notice it booting up differently or things like that then you may want to replace the battery. I had a hp comp a few years back that the battery was still good after four and a half years.

bigc

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Didn't u just purchase a new computer recently Rita?

If so, why would the battery need replacing already?

Do u have support?

snowbound

15. bigc73542

yes if your computer is fairly new I would contact support before I started changing things.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi snowbound
    yes,its less than a month old,still under warranty.it shouldnt need a new battery i wouldnt think but i cant think of anything else it could be,maybe i'll wait and see.i set the clock about 2 hours ago and so far its ok so I'll check it in the morning again and see.thanks for replying
    rita

17. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    ritaann

If you use the programme we recommended you do not have to constantly reset the clock. It gets updated daily upon bootup automatically.

18. snowbound

You're Welome,

your right, It should not need a new battery being that new. If it was me, i'd be calling support and getting them to come out and fix it. ;)

snowbound

19. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

It is VERY rare for those Lithium cells to go bad. Contact vendor for RMA. No need to mess around with a new PC. I suspect the root cause may be a problem chip on the motherboard. Your only solution would be to obtain a new PC since it is only 1 month old. What is the brand/model number?

20. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Actually sometimes the new Lithium Ion batteries can be bad out of the box, I've expierenced it, its not hard at all to replace the BIOS battery, the model number should be a CR2032 dot/button lithium ion cell battery, they cost about $1.75-1.99 USD at RadioShack, however if its only a few months old, it should still be under warranty and it would probably be best to talk to the manufacturer.

21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Bigc
    I havent noticed it booting up differently or anything.With the two old computers I never had to replace the batteries either,really I know so little about them(computers )I didnt even know they had batteries--learn something new everyday.Thanks
    Rita

22. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Good Morning everyone
    I set the clock last night and it's still right this morning.I'll check it again this evening and see what happens--thanks to everyone who replied
    Rita

23. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

clock still right this afternoon,maybe I havent set it right before--anyway it's been ok since last night-the last time i set it
    Rita

24. snowbound

Well keep our fingers crossed.;) :D

snowbound

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, Rita :) . this post was going to say "if you eventually find out that there is no major problem you can use this program to synchronize your computer's clock."

however, while reading about it Karen says this-

[Nerdy Note: You can discover the exact frequency of your computer's High Resolution Timer. Just run my Computer Profiler program, and click its "Time" tab. Look for the entry labeled "High Resolution Timer Frequency".]

im not a nerd, but if it helps you, you can download Karen's Computer Profiler program here

i hope it helps you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.