Cliqz acquires Ghostery

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TonyW, Feb 15, 2017.

1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

2. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

"This unique technology is powered by the Cliqz Human Web, a revolutionary way for a collective of users to contribute anonymous statistical data to improve the relevancy and safety of advanced Cliqz privacy features. Ghostery proudly joins this state-of-the-art browser..." :cautious:

Does anyone use Ghostery in Edge browser?

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, this is probably a strategic move to restore some trust in Ghostery again. I'm not going to lie, I have used it for years and did like it back in the days, but they are simply not trustworthy.

4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

What do you think about Cliqz browser?

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Cliqz browser is based on Firefox, quite refreshing after all those Chrome based browsers, and has some addons like Ghostery and HTTPS Everywhere built-in. The main Ad/Tracker blocker interface is unknown to me, looks like it is their own code. They've search results view built into the URL bar which they claim is the only browser who has this, which is true, but other browsers have been showing search results in the URL bar as well, not just that extensive. I prefer to search only bookmarks and search history in my URL bar, and an online search with preferred search engine is only a Enter button away.
    For the rest I'm not sure about their intentions, see plat1098's post. Besides, I also stopped using Ghostery because of their increasing phone home so I won't be using Cliqz browser..

Yeah, they advertise that user privacy is their core mission, but apparently phoning home is also part of it..

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have checked it out, it is a very bare-bones browser, and you can't even install extensions, except for Ghostery and LastPass. What a piece of junk, I had the same experience with Brave browser. Seems like these guys are not really interested in offering "power user" features, they are only focused on privacy. But with Chrome and Firefox I can achieve about the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.