Client not recognized by RA Console

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Salt, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salt

Salt Registered Member

Hi All,

I have a strange issue on several clients. I recently installed 3.0.672 client manually on these machines and pointed these clients to the RA update server within the network.

These clients are getting their updates, but for whatever reason they do not show themselves in the client tab under the RA console.

The windows firewall is off and I can ping the client from the server and vice versa. The server also recognizes these machines when I do a diagnostic check from the RA console under the remote install tab.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

In the console, go to Add/Remove Columns under the clients section and add Computer Name, MAC Address, and IP if they are not there. In the advanced server configuration options, go to ERA Server, Setup, Advanced and enable MAC address renaming (from unknown to valid), MAC address renaming (from valid to another valid), and computer name renaming. The Client Name doesn't always match the Computer Name and if there were machine renames, rebuilds, migrations, or IP changes you can get some weird conflicts where two machines will be constantly fighting over the same Client Name slot. Look for entries where the Computer Name (hostname) or MAC address keeps changing.

3. Salt

Salt Registered Member

Thank you for the reply and the instructions. I made those changes and this will certainly help me with a few other issues I have seen, however, I still do not see the client machine listed by hostname, IP or by MAC Address under the client tab.

Is there a way to manually add the client to the RA console? I know clients are supposed to appear in the client list automatically, but that is not the case here.

4. SmackyTheFrog

Have you run out of licenses? That would keep additional clients from attaching to the RAS.

And no, you cannot (easily, unless you want to manually screw around with the database RAS uses) manually add clients to the RAS.

5. Salt

Salt Registered Member

I have plenty of licenses left. It must be something on the client side. I'll have to poke around some more...

6. SmackyTheFrog

Try installing nmap on one of the problem systems and checking to make sure that you can get to tcp port 2222 on the RAS. That should rule out a network issue.

7. Salt

Salt Registered Member

I haven't tried the nmap idea yet, but I did notice that in advanced setup on the client, under Miscellaneous, then Remote Administration. I did not have the box checked for "Connect to Remote Administrator server". I've updated that section with the proper information, but it still hasn't become visible on the server under the clients tab.

I guess it's time to try an nmap scan.

8. Salt

Salt Registered Member

Actually, that was the issue (setting RA server connection). I didn't notice it because I was looking at client name instead of computer name and IP address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.