clear.gif versus cookie

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by vasa1, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

While tightening things up, I found that Wilders was requiring me to login each time I restarted the browser (Chrome 14 or Fx 7).

I think I tracked the problem down to my blocking clear.gif. I'm sure that I had clear.gif blocked sometime earlier (for quite some months, IIRC).

My questions are:
    Is it due to a change at the forum end?
    If yes, was it because people like to remove "cookies" but don't chase after things like clear.gif?

Don't mean to cause offense!

2. Get

Get Registered Member

Maybe to simple a solution (don't want to cause offence), but judging your avatar you're using Sandboxie and using that it's logical you must login every time you restart your browser.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

clear.gif is simply used as a spacer for page format. It has nothing to do with getting or staying logged in. That is done via cookies. In fact, cookies - maintaining them permanently and passing them to the forum as needed, is what keeps you logged in between visits. If restarting your browser requires you to log in again, then you simply do not have the cookie for the forum saved. Perhaps it is sandboxie as Get mentions. If you get an empty browser at every restart, that would cause it.

See this FAQ:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/faq.php?faq=wilders_custom_faqs#faq_wilders_staying_logged_in

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Sorry! I'll have to remove that. I'm on Ubuntu 11.04.

(I had kept it as a sign of respect for a piece of software that kept me safe on Windows but since it's causing confusion, it'll have to go.)

5. Get

Get Registered Member

Ok, seemed to be farfetched that someone using SB would't know how it works. Liked the old avatar better btw, but that's just me.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is what about:permissions (Firefox 7) shows:

And I can login in after closing the browser and restarting. (As I mentioned above, Sandboxie is not involved.)

Attached Files:

7. LowWaterMark

Well, all I can say it that cookies are everything as far as staying logged in between visits. If you show up at the forum and are not logged in, then it's because you are not maintaining and passing the cookie stored login credentials.

You say it fails at new browser restart... so, restart your browser and check the contents of the stored cookie for this domain. If your credentials are in there, you'll be auto-logged in. If not, then you won't, and you'll have to enter your username and password again.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You are right! I looked the old-fashioned way, Edit, Preferences, Privacy tab, remove individual cookies, and I do have the Wilders' bblastactivity, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not going to bother with about:permissions for a while.

9. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Actually one doesnt need cookies @ all...

I blocked all cookies as a test one day and i had no problems on almost all sites im on....... (They issue a session ID to keep you logged in if they cant set a cookie)

Trouble is that way is not 100% as on some sites they dont have full "session id" configured right.... (Ya keep getting logged out)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  10. LowWaterMark

vasa1's issue was when he was restarting his browser, entering the site fresh. Others mention being able to stay logged in when returning to the forum after some time away (ie. "staying logged in between visits") The problem with using the session id mode of access is it is limited - valid for a "session time" period only. Here, a session times out after 15 minutes of inactivity. If you fail to access anything for 15 minutes, you will be "logged out" when you click on the next link. A session id will only keep you logged in if you stay continuously active. It does work, but, it can be frustrating if you go off site for longer then expected, then click something here, and find you have to log in again. Cookies can keep you logged in indefinitely.

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Possibly slightly off-topic, but definitely closely related ... in Firefox's "Clear history" options, make sure you untick "site preferences". If those are cleared along with other history, that's another way you can lose saved login data.

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The various incarnations of ways to track you defined Wilders would be the least offensive in these ways. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.