Cleanmem 1.5.1 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thankful, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Thanks.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's a very good program! ;)

4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

for old pc with low memory i assume ...

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

No, for every PC!

This is not just another memory reducer... ;)

6. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes, I agree.

CleanMem uses the same API used by Microsoft in it 'empty.exe' tool. This is also the same API that all .Net programs use by default when you minimize them and their memory lowers. So now instead of being just for .Net, CleanMem lets you use it on all your programs.

Cleanmem also clears the file cache of the system. The same way 'CacheSet' by Sysinternals does. "Having a lot of cache is generally not a bad thing, but if it is at the expense of other processes it can be detrimental to system performance. There are two different ways this can occur - read and write I/O".

With the latest version 1.5.1, it's easy to see how effective is the CleanMem action in their log file, ever without cause damage to the system performance (but exactly the opposite!).

7. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

I read many good reviews of it.:)

Do I still need it while I have 3GB RAM ? :doubt:

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes. Everyone... ;)

9. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Thanks. A very good program.I use it even though i have 3gb ram...it works :)

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ah yes, even with the memory optimizations of Windows 7 you still "need" this.

Sad to see so many people for for this crap.

Having a 3rd party program calling this whenever it feels like is NOT a solution to anything. Let Windows manage it's own memory, end of story.

It's called reserving memory. But I don't expect someone who can't form a sentance with proper grammar to understand the implications of such a program. To put it in stone age terms:

"Me program make memory low, me program good cause make program use less memory."

Making a program use less memory =/= better. In a lot of cases, software engineers will purposely choose to use more memory when writing their code to reduce CPU usage. In todays world where we have 4GB of RAM as standard in most new machines, and most of them never using the full 4GB, people that insist programs like this are useful make me facepalm.

Let's also not forget the performance hit you take from calling the function frequently, I'm sure someone that's been engineering software longer than I have can shine more light on it than I can.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  11. brainrb1

If someone does not know English well quote: "sentance with proper grammar" :D does it make him incapable of programing o_O thanks for the information.. maybe this tool doesn't work well in win 7 but i am using it in vista i like it.

12. elapsed

Yes you have a fair point but I meant more in the perspective of promoting the software to the users than anything else.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Oh my...

You needed to say this, right!?

For those who knows how things really works, YES!

Do you really know something about software and how system works!?

Please, do us a favor...

14. elapsed

Wow your post is so useful and informative it invalidated every single one of my points with useful facts and information that taught everyone a lesson.

No wait it didn't it was just ranting at me personally.

15. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

Cleanmem works under the premise from 2001 that freeing up memory was a good thing, in Windows XP performance does increase by keeping idle memory usage as low as possible. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have superfetch and completely different memory management, Vista's and 7's memory management actually has apps try to take up more ram and actually use your system ram since it is so much faster than the page file. To load an entire game into ram is impossible, so only the portions needed immediately are usually loaded. Stripping 100mb ram use off of a game from 600mb to 500mb ram use simply increases the odds your system will hit the page file and introduce skipping/stuttereing/increase load times into the game.

Cheers

16. elapsed

Exactly what I thought when I was explaining Windows 7's improved memory handling, thank you for confirming and explaining it better than I did.

17. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Like CleanMem, that doesn't to do use from page file also.

In fact CleanMem never "increases the odds your system will hit the page file and introduce skipping/stuttereing/increase load times". Like said before it doesn't use page file to do their action. The memory emptied from running processes is put into the page cache that allows to decrease load times (you can test that, monitoring the page cache usage on Windows Vista or Win7 through Task Manager).

Since CleanMem uses the same API used by Microsoft in their 'empty.exe' tool, calling that API is just a way to clean up before the OS does it. Like to clean junk files with e.g. CCleaner or MS DiskCleanup, is to clean before OS warning you that the hard disk is full - in extremis.

Please don't mixed CleanMem / 'empty.exe' MS tool with 'clearmem.exe' MS tool. 'Clearmem.exe' tool is another thing and their action is not similar to CleanMem / 'empty.exe' definitely.

As well CleanMem allows to clear the file cache of the system. Like 'CacheSet' by Mark Russinovich, Sysinternals. An useful feature also!

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If you truly need a program like this, you plain and simple need more memory. If you have more than 3Gb of RAM and still think you need this thing, well, whatever. There's no point in getting into an argument over a program that, with ample RAM, doesn't mean squat, and without ample RAM doesn't do enough.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Honestly have any of you bashers actually tried this program?

Use it with a good resource monitor and see for yourself.

There is no lag or anything to do with the page file.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This "basher" has when I had XP. The program doesn't lie, it does clear off some memory. But if clearing memory, only to have the program take it right back again 15 minutes or so later, is considered "useful", be my guest. The ONLY time it ever did me any good was when I was still using a 1Gb RAM machine and was playing games, and on a machine like that, whacking off a 100Mb of RAM doesn't help much to begin with, and sure doesn't mean much when that 100Mb is grabbed back soon after.

But, again, some want it, some don't, so I see no point in trying to argue over its supposed benefits with those who are bound and determined to consider it worth their while.

21. brainrb1

I think with this kind of program; its like you try it for a while you like it then at some point you just remove it and move on(no harm done).
    If some guy is giving his time and effort to some free ware, lets at least be respectful for his efforts.I know i am going to use it only for a short while and move on but its fun to try. Lets provide constructive criticism so maybe this dude can give us more good free products which we might decide to use for a long time :thumb:

22. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

I think you guys are being pretty sensitive. Its a fact that in the past the numerous 'memory cleaners' on download.com did cause systems to hit the page file more frequently since it forced lower ram usage out of applications and into the page file also caused crashing in some games/apps.

If this app takes a load off of system memory and places that load not on the pagefile but on the page cache it's still worthless. Superfetch already caches RAM for you, if the system requires cached ram for something it is instantly given up as free ram for system usage.

Cheers

23. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

Good point :thumb:

agree with you :)

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try it before you criticize it. Seriously.

25. elapsed

No thanks. If you enjoy using it and think it's useful, well that's good for you, continue to enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.