Cleaning the PC crashes Avira, does anyone else have this ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

System: Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 IE 7, Avira security suite, Avira installed on a clean image that never had any security software installed.

Since I'm still using a promotional license I won't post this on the official Avira forum.

I just used CCleaner, rebooted, uninstalled CCleaner, removed the browser history (IE 7), the %temp% files, and any other temporary files/trash bin etc.
    I again rebooted, and Avira was disabled. I first had to enable the Avira task manager/desktop manager (?) service, followed by a few other services.
    It's functioning fine now.

I've had a few of those crashes, usually after cleaning the computer, probably not always in this fashion (without CCleaner).

On one occasion I left my computer, came back and noticed that the Avira security suite was disabled, while I was online. Fortunately, I'm behind a router, but that didn't look to good.

Does anyone else experiences something like this ?

Another annoying bug that sometimes occurs, although not important, is that when I click to scan, first nothing happens, I wait, click again, and Avira starts to scan in two different windows !

Btw, I never use registry cleaners, not even the one in CCleaner, unless CCleaner 'cleans' the registry by default.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It sounds like something may have been removed by the cleaner.
    As far as CCleaner and registry cleaning, that's a separate operation from the cleaning tool.

Have you looked around the Avira forum to see if anyone else has posted about this?
    I'm not saying that you should post something.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Perhaps give it a try uninstalling and reinstalling avira, there's always the possibility of an install which has gone slightly astray. Also reboot twice before re-installing (if you go down that route).

In ccleaner there is the choice of excluding things through the gui settings (Options>exclude). May be something to consider as part of your troubleshooting.

Although I find it a bit difficult to see how ccleaner could disable your security suite when it wasn't running at the time (ccleaner that is) You mention that Avira suddenly became disabled while you were online and I'm sure you wouldn't be using ccleaner while browsing.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A little misunderstanding. I keep CCleaner on my desktop, run it when I want to, and after the reboot I uninstall it.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Furthermore, on the main GUI(the one showing the main activity "cleaner") under Applications you can uncheck Antivir Desktop under Utilities. Although I have the AV not the suite on a similar system, I never had any problems. Why do you uninstall CCleaner after using it?

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

True, I could uncheck it. A good point.

I don't completely trust CCleaner, and it would just take up space.
    Besides, CCleaner leaves at least one %temp% file, and I just prefer to clean everything up as much as possible, I may even defrag the harddisk at that point.

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.