Clean slate. Anyone tried it.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by rollers, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Has anyone tried clean slate yet by fortres.com? I have searched and not yet been able to find out much about it and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experiences with it? Ease of use, reliability etc.

Thanks Rollers

2. rollers

Ok, so I have taken the plunge and am now running it.
    I have tried deepfreeze and shadowuser in the past but found them to be a bit restrictive when you want to update, ie you have to reboot all the time to remove the protection.
    Clean slate however you can disable it from the main program menu. I have noticed no slowdown in boot or shutdown on the computer and you can configure it how you like, ie which applications are allowed to keep their changes, ie anti virus and adaware.
    I have easily found it to be the best of the three for set up and use so far, even for a non technophobe like myself. Early days though, if I find any problems or weaknesses then I shall post them here.
    So far so good.

3. engine89

engine89 Guest

It does look interesting, and I do like the fact that it looks more user friendly than DF, SU, Goback etc..... But I wonder if the fact that you can shut down the program without a restart, could mean that it would be easier for malware to shut the program down also. And that could also mean that the program doesn't run at the kernel level. I really doubt it does if you can shut it down so easy.

Another thing I don't feel is all that secure is its ability to exclude certain programs. What if some malware was hidden in a program that you disallow from any changes being made to? You could reinfect yourself again.

These are just some concerns I have about the program. Otherwise it does look to be a more user friendly program than DF, SU, Goback, RestoreIT, etc...

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have E Mailed them for a trial download.

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have recieved an E Mail from them so I will be giving it a try.

6. rollers

well I have hit problems, with nod32. It does not register the files checked via imon (inc pop3) and via emon, just comes up with a unable to open properly error. If you disable protection from clean slate all is ok. I have excluded both the application and folder from being protected and all manner of other tweaks but cannot fix this problem. Mmmm looks like an uninstallation and revert to plan B o_O o_O

7. rollers

Ok, so as not to be defeatest, I installed it again. Sucess this time it seems, working well with nod32. Not sure what I did wrong the first time.
    All is now working well, very light on the system, you don't notice it is there, takes a bit of tweaking to get any folders or applications exempt that need to be, ie Antivirus.
    If at first you dont succeed................................

8. gergy

gergy Registered Member

Is it possible to protect only one partition on a drive ? Or
    only one drive when you have 2 ?

9. rollers

All is initially covered by it, but then you can exclude what you like, including a whole drive if you wish.
    Hope that helps.

Rollers

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

That is only true for Deepfreeze and not for ShadowUser: NOD32 and MS AntiSpyware are updating in real time in Shadowmode. One has to make sure to exclude them in the first place. A lot of these programs are similar in concept, but then what they actually allow you to do can vary significantly.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My laptop boots in 1 minute and 30 seconds normally and 2 minutes in Shadowmode. Shuttingdown from Shadowmode takes exactly 21 seconds.
    I'm running 7 Applications at start up including ShadowUser therefore I think ShadowUser is not slowing down my machine. As for which applications are allowed to keep their changes you have a point with Deepfreeze, you can configure ShadowUser easily too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.