Clean install

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tatersalad, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

I’m getting ready to re-install Windows XP. It’s been about 10 months and the gremlins are starting to gain weight. I read somewhere that you can neuter many nasties, by not having a C:\Windows folder.

Has anyone tried changing the drive letter in fdisk? And if so what if any problems with legitimate programs did you encounter?

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

I don't believe that you can change the drive letter. However, you might (and I stress that this is only a possibility) gain something from not using the default name for the folder. Try something like C:\Wingnut instead.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Install on a system that's not connected to the internet. Not by any wire or modem.
    Also first copy some install files from recent anti virus and firewall programs and install those before connecting to the net. Alternatively, first activate the XP firewall before connecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.