Clarifying TI features, operation and use

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mr_rhino, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_rhino

mr_rhino Registered Member

1.Some folks on the forum have recommended NOT creating a SecureZone (SZ) anywhere. I was considering using the SZ feature for one of two equal-sized partitions on a third disk that will be dedicated to storing images of my entire boot RAID 1 array. If this separate non-removable internal drive (that is dedicated for storing images of the RAID array) does not use a SZ, aren’t those images potentially vulnerable to viruses, hackers, etc.? On the other hand, what are the problems that the use of SecureZone might introduce?

2.I’ve seen reference on this forum to major problems that might occur with the use of Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) in TI, such as affecting the boot disk/array's MBR. What are the pros and cons to using the SRM? More importantly, must I use SRM if I want to use TI's SecureZone feature?

3.Some folks on the forum seem to prefer creating backup images using the rescue CD, while others seem happy doing so from within Windows. Besides the from-within-Windows-only abilities a) to schedule backups to be performed automatically and b) to perform incremental backups, are there any other pros and cons to each approach? Sounds like creating from rescue CD is potentially less problematic as long as I’m prepared to initiate a full backup while at the PC. What am I missing?

4.My understanding is that if the full image, or one of previous incrementals, gets corrupted you will not be able to restore all the subsequent incrementals. Am I being paranoid by therefore preferring to do full rather than incremental backups?

5.Is it generally advisable to verify all MD5 checksums on all backups manually using say the MD5Sum utility available from TI, or can I use TI’s built-in Check Image utility to verify that for me? My understanding is that verifying MD5 checksums is only valid when the image has been backed up to a hard drive, and not to optical media that required spanning. Am I correct? If not, could someone clarify/elaborate?

Thanks in advance,
    Rhino

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I didn't answer all your questions but I have tried to answer most. These answers are to the best of my knowledge if any are wrong someone please correct me.

Yes

Haven't ran into any myself maybe someone else can say what if anything has happened to them.

Not sure of the cons but the pro is that you can restore an image even if you can't boot into Windows. Also you don't need a recovery CD even though I recommend creating one anyway.

Yes

Maybe but I do full backups as well.

Hope this helps,

Chris

3. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

No redundancy. It is not introduced by the SZ per se, but rather by the simple fact that the SZ is part of your system drive, thus if your HDD fails, so does the image stored in the SZ. I backup to my 2nd physical drive, which affords me a higher level of redundacy.

4. mr_rhino

mr_rhino Registered Member

Sandokan-

If the SZ was on a separate HD such as I proposed originally, then I would like to understand how our approaches differ.

My main array consists of 2 HDs in RAID 1 mode, PLUS I plan backups to a 3rd (non-RAID) HD.

This 3rd HD is split into two partitions:
    1. partition A could be used as a SZ (my understanding is that the SZ did not have to be located on the system HD.)
    2. while partition B would be used as place to store 2000MB "segments" of the entire image of the RAID array.

Partition B would have two purposes:
    1) to allow me to either restore directly (hoping that it had not been corrupted in any way) and
    2) to burn images of the RAID array to DVD using Nero InCD.

I believe this approach would address redundancy concerns. Am I still missing something?

Thanks to all that have replied. Welcome additional comments on this AND my original post.
    -Rhino

5. Chris12923

If I am not mistaken the SZ has to be on a partition on the system hard drive.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Well, Secure Zone can be on a non-system drive for sure.

7. Chris12923

beenthereb4 you are correct. Learn something new everyday. I should have read the help file (just like a man not to read the directions).

Thanks,

Chris

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mr_rhino,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

1. Acronis Secure Zone allows you to store images safely. There shouldn't be any problems with it providing you perform all the operations in theway described in the User's Guide.

2. Acronis Startup Recovery Manager allows you to boot the Acronis True Image even if you cannot boot into Windows. It does changes the MBR so please make sure you haven't got any other software that change MBR as well.

3. Acronis exclusive technology allows you to create images under Windows without having to reboot the computer. You may find more details about this technology in the following article:

http://www.acronis.com/company/inpress/2003/01-ctr-disk-imaging.html

4. Incremental images are usually smaller than the full one. However you are right: in case one of images gets corrupted you wn't be able to restore all subsequent images.

5. The MD5 calculator is mainly used for thorough dignostics. I recommend that you use "Check Image" tool to verify image integrity.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

No. You can create and use a Secure Zone without activating the SRM. Although not applicable in your case, I would advise anyone against activating the SRM if the SZ is created on a removable/external HD that is likely to be disconnected or switched off when the system powers up (in which case the system will refuse to boot!).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.