ClamWin + Avast- any benefit?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask about ClamWin AV. I want to use it as second line on-demand scanner with Avast. Is it any good? How we can compare it with Avast( considering only on demand scanning). Will it give any extra advantage if I use it with Avast, and any conflicts by keeping the 2 AV? I will be thankful if anybody guides me.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Re: CalmWin + Avast- any benefit?

Since ClamWin is on-demand only, there should be absolutely zero conflict with Avast.

As to *how good* ClamWin is, that's hard to say. Unfortunately it isn't covered by AV-Comparatives. The only test I know of that covers ClamWin is the one by VirusGr. There is always a bit of controversy concerning VGr's test bed & methodology, but since his is the only recent test of ClamWin, it's better than nothing I suppose.

Per VGr's test, ClamWin is ranked VERY low. If all you want is a back-up for second opinion/on-demand, then the free version of BitDefender would probably be your best bet IMHO. BD ranks high on all the reputable test sites. (The BD freebie is on-demand ONLY.)

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

its not hard to guess some reasons why clam is not included in av-comparatives tests

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, you are right. From where I can get free BD? Is it latest version with updates? And as you said earlier i hope there should be no conflicts with real time scanner.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The free version is always one version behind the latest one.

So BitDefender 8 is the free one at present.

I have used it as a backup scanner to a variety of AV's and so far no conflicts with any of my primary AV's. On one computer I even had KAV 5 running without any problems with BD (accidentally) installed as a secondary scanner :- :p :cool:

Well worth giving it a go ;)

7. andylau

andylau Registered Member

Antivir is one of the best free A.V. that to instead Avast.
    I have tried Avast before, but it use alot resources.:ninja:

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast uses less resources than Anti Vir,has way more modules including mail and web scanning as well as IDS and P2P scanning and has the small updates unlike AntiVir.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks all of you but I think Avast versus Antivir battle is not our topic,there are other threads going on.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=119571

10. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have Avast Home and I also uses ClamWin for backup. I only uses this to scan my pc every other week or twice a month, coz its very slow (but I'm not surprised, clams are relative of snails...you know what I mean...so when you see an antivirus w a name of turtle then its up to you), it can really find some things that my other antivirus couldn't. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.