ClamWin and Fastmail

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have been having an ongoing discussion recently about my new email service, Fastmail, and the AV which they use to scan email traffic. I am told they use ClamWin because it is open source, and therefor free. I was suprised to learn that they once used Kaspersky. The forum administrator told me that they switched because they found ClamWin to be faster to respond, which of course is not true. My question here is this: Could someone present me with valid data that would demonstrate how ClamWin is, or is not, very good. Peraps data that shows how it stacks up to others, on a large scale, would be useful. Since there is no information available at av-comparatives regarding ClamWin, I'm going to need a little help. My hope is to get them to switch so that malware scanning can be more reliable, if need be. The suggestion has been made that they switch to either KAV, NOD32 or Dr Web. Thank you for your help.

Nate

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The more likely reason you have already stated; " I am told they use ClamWin because it is open source, and therefore free."

Being open source, Clam can sometimes beat Kaspersky on signature update response times.

ClamAV does not appear too hot in this test.

Very wishful thinking when the beancounters are in charge! The use of a free opensource AV for the Guest accounts would be appropriate but I would have thought that for the Annual subscription accounts they would have offered a commercial AV. Although I have been a happy Full user for several years now.

You are considering FM's Clam AV as your first line of defense; just consider this as only part of a layered system and have faith in your desktop AV to stop any malware coming through.

Overall, you have enough common sense to use Fastmail without any AV scanner ;)

4. n8chavez

Well, thank your for that. But I wasn't necessarily thinking of myself. There are others that might not have a layered defense that might benefit from having Kasersky of NOD32 over ClamAV

5. n8chavez

Are there any test involving ClamAV that test server solutions, as opposed to desktop solution. That is where I really want to point out ClamAV's flaws.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I don't think its going to do you any good to suggest ClamAV's flaws to the guys at Fastmail. After all, it was a corporate and probably cost cutting decision to take out Kaspersky and replace it with Clam, and they're not going to want to weasel out the money required as license fees for some paid AV unless a very large number of customers (and not just private/individual customers at that) start complaining about it.

7. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Another Fastmail subscriber here, and yes, I noticed the FM forum thread.
    ClamAV is a very sound first line of defense, and I'm assuming most users have their own resident AVs to supplement any shortcomings of the Clam.
    Hey, you're getting this additional protection for free :)

PS: And if FM started implementing KAV or Eset, would you get rid of your resident AV?
    Probably not. In which case, the point is moot.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am also a FastMail subscriber, but was not aware that they used an AV scanner for their email. :oops: The only messages that I have ever received are only service update messages. Never have gotten one spam message since I enrolled. :thumb: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.