ClamAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by blinking_spirit, Jan 18, 2017.

1. blinking_spirit

blinking_spirit Registered Member

Hi

This thread is part question and part information (i.e. personal experience)

I know ClamAV hasn't the best reputation here but I've been actively keeping a check on its performance on the Shadowserver page - where ClamAV has a respectable performance compared to other AVs.

On that note, I wanted a complementary, portable scanner so ventured to the main page - ClamAV.net to download the Windows components. I'm avoiding ClamWin and ClamWinPortable since I prefer bare-bones command-line scanners.

Effectively I end up with the only necessary files to carry out a full PC scan:
    • clamscan.exe
    • libclamav.dll
    • bytecode.cvd - database file
    • daily.cvd - database file
    • main.cvd - database file
    The command arguments I use is:
    Code:
    clamscan --infected --detect-pua --recursive=yes --max-filesize=10 --database=. --log=log.log c:
    I limit the file size to 10mb to improve speeds and "assume" malware to be mostly smaller file sizes* (and to see how ClamAV performed in terms of speed).
    *taking a big swing in assumptions here...

So a few questions:
    • Is Shadowserver a good source of such performance?
    • Does ClamAV hold its own considering the performance of above?
    • Does anyone use ClamAV for similar scenarios (I know it's a mail scanner too)?
    • Any suggestions to improve the command parameters I've used?
    Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.