CiS Virtual Kiosk vs Toolwiz Timefreeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by javahole, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javahole

javahole Registered Member

Dont like to post yet another -vs- thread, but i've just been using the CIS Virtual Kiosk, and it was fast and noticed that my windows update downloaded some files no problem whilst i was using it. Obviously Time Freeze does not allow exceptions so the AV and windows updates have to be considered , but it seems like a great tool.

So TW Timefreeze is full light virtualization that i want to use for Java protection with CIS HIPS , but what does the CIS Virtual kiosk protect me from as i think i read its a full virtualisation (some say only browser) ?
    And how do you compare the two ? eg are certain parts of your session/downloads with cis virtual kiosk left behind unlike TF ? I believe if you download something in the kiosk you have to grab it from the ''shared space'' so i've yet to look into whether it would remove all of the stuff downloaded in the kiosk on exit and how much of a ''clean slate'' it leaves.

Do you use the CIS Virtual kiosk all the time for normal browsing given its added protection? Why wouldnt you ?

Just trying to weigh up what up what the CIS Virtual kiosk protects me on and whether to use it for most browsing. Theres a guy on youtube that says nothing bad can get by if you run it in the kiosk and he was testing it with java exploits that were no more than 12 hours old and it did catch them all.
    Without the virtual kiosk the tests were not perfect.

Cheers

2. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

VK is a sort of interface for the Sandbox.

3. guest

guest Guest

you can't compare them, TF is a system-wide virtualization program, so of course Windows Updates and everything else happening during the session are virtualized.

you must differentiate 2 things about CIS v6:

Kiosk: is just the full virtualization sandbox's interface more adapted for banking.

Full Virtualization : Activated by a regedit tweak, it is similar as Sandboxie but with less options. Everything you run inside the sandboxes (browsers, programs, etc...) is virtualized, but it is not system-wide, it is why Windows Updates apply normally.

Timefreeze: function like Shadow Defender, so very differently than CIS sandboxing capacities

when i was beta-testing it , no; i rather use a sandboxed browser. i used it only for banking with the virtual keyboard.

"catch" is not the right term, you should say "isolate"

Kiosk = Browsing & banking mostly.

CIS sandboxes: for anything you want to virtualize

Personally i am using Emsisoft IS with Sandboxie coupled to Shadow Defender

hope i helped you.

4. javahole

javahole Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

guest,

''Personally i am using Emsisoft IS with Sandboxie coupled to Shadow Defender''

You use that setup together ALL the time for browsing?

So (going by the tools i have) basically, you personally would not trust the out of the box CIS Virtual Kiosk on its own , for say, kids on your laptop randomly surfing the web using java, and downloading and playing online games, WITHOUT using it with some kind of system-wide virtualization program like SD as a safety net, but WOULD use the VKiosk on its own for online banking or careful browsing?

Would you (if nothing else was available-i cant use sandboxie) consider constantly using Toolwiz TF together with CIS Virtual Kiosk overkill ? Or would you consider this not be much different in terms of protection than just using chrome with TF ?

I'm just thinking about the av and windows updates with TF. I'd be fine periodically closing TF and clicking manually for updates in CIS but would CIS know i dont have the updates considering they've already downloaded them whilst i was in virtualization in TF ? :) :argh:

Sorry about the questions. Just interested in what works, whilst not being overkill or too heavy on resources/compatible, and not too much problems with updates etc.

5. guest

guest Guest

yes, if i go to "risky" sites, if not just sandboxie

yes i will use kiosk, did during the beta, it was fine and secure enough, not saying that you will still have CIS.

they are not overkill but complement each other, Kiosk securing your browser and TF the whole system if something may bypass Kiosk

in fact CIS has nothing to do with the updates, since they are done outside Kiosk, updates don't need the browser. when you close TF and do a manual update, CIS will see it as the first time you download them, even if you did it previously during TF session.

No problem ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.