CHX-I with other firewall software

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mrpringle, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpringle

mrpringle Registered Member

Hi,
    I have CHX-I installed, I decided I would install outpost for the outbound protection, and the spyware scanner.

Do you think it is bad having these 2 firewalls installed together, or doesn't it make a difference?

Thanks

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You will have an overhead for your incoming traffic, and have to add rules in both...!

If you want to use CHX for inbound, you should find a firewall that you can disabled the inbound protection and only use its oubound protection...

I still didn't find a good firewall for that... :(

3. joter

joter Registered Member

Look 'n' stop, Zonealarm free, Appdefend. The first is the best.

Regards
    joter

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already tested them ;)

LnS isn't free...

ZA Free haven't a good outbound protection...

AD, the network access seems nice, and will be improved. Have the advantage of doesn't have inbound protection build-in, but isn't free, so I will have to wait to see what the free version will have...

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have run CHX with many different firewalls concurrently and never had any problems at all, so I believe you will be quite safe and ok running both if you want to. There is a small price to pay however as mentioned above in that you will be filtering traffic twice. And to be honest, Outpost alone would be enough. If you want app control for use with CHX then probably the best option would be to try running ZA with the internet filtering turned off, or perhaps LnS under same conditions (however LnS is paid not free). I think there are one or two more firewalls that let you turn off internet filtering and just keep app control running. You might also rethink just how much you really need app control anyway and decide to do without it. Depends on your circumstances though...

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is,... or there was, a LnS "lite" version that was free (I think the App filtering is disabled). I still have a copy (356kb) that I downloaded. (cant remember where from)

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

8. mrpringle

mrpringle Registered Member

thanks, I will have a look at look n stop lite.

This is a great forum, always get quick useful answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.