Chromium --icognito mode, incognito, but not that much?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by m00nbl00d, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello,

I tried to search, but found nothing related to my issue/doubt. Sorry if something has already been said. If it has I apologize.

A few moments ago, while trying out some new command configurations to try on Chromium, I noticed that, despite I automatically start one of my Chromium profiles with --incognito mode, Google still places a cookie in the computer.

But, if I go to options and block all cookies, then google places no cookie at all.

Shouldn't --incognito mode block ALL cookies?

Could you testify that behavior?

Thank you

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

i think it should be -incognito and it should not block cookies but will delete all cookies and history after you close your browser.

btw right now I'm using

Code:
    --safe-plugins -incognito

3. m00nbl00d

In my case it's --incognito, because that's the first command I have in my shorcut. The same way for you is --safe-plugins.

Yes, incognito mode deletes all cookies prior to closing the session. That's what I meant when I asked if it shouldn't block all cookies, ai in delete them all prior to ending the session. Still, that doesn't explain why only Google cookie is temporarily saved in the system? No other cookies are. For example, there are no cookies stored in the system from wilderssecurity forum, etc.

Maybe Google's cookie is an exception? So far I couldn't find any Google documenting it - why it stores a cookie in the computer.

I just tried with a new --incognito session and a Google cookie was stored. I closed the browser and reopened it, and the cookie was still there. I had to manually delete it.

Well, nothing that I can't work out. :D

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, Incognito creates a cookie while you have the window opened i think, as soon as you close it, it deletes it :D

BTW, what does that Google Cookie keeps? O_O

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Incognito/InPrivate browsing etc. does NOT improve your security in any way. It's only useful for stuff like browsing in internet cafes or whatnot. Does zilch for your security.

6. m00nbl00d

The goal of such is not to protect, is to keep the privacy of who wishes it so.

Sites do not need cookies to work. Cookies are useful, among other information, for example, for you to access your bank account. Or to enter Gmail, for example. Cookies are useful when users need to perform a login.

Now, if one's not going to perform any login, why the heck would one allow cookies to be stored, or even accept them? No need.

Also, some sites also store third-party cookies and tracking cookies.

When I remember of these last two type of cookies, I remember of a shopping center/mall, as being the Internet, and the stores its web sites.
    Just because you enter one store (site), should every other know about it? Why? No reason. Not their business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.