Chromium and saving pdf files

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I don't use the Google products Chrome and Chromium very much so I only just discovered how to get the same pdf functionality in Chromium as available in Chrome. (Very bad omission in Chromium as a great deal of communication/information on the web is in pdf form).
    Anyway to cut to the chase this is how I did it. Works OK.

How to use Google Chromes’ Native PDF reader in Chromium.

1. Download the latest Google Chrome dev build (yes Google Chrome) choosing to save it.
    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_dev.html?dl=unstable_i386_deb
    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_dev.html?dl=unstable_amd64_deb

Those links above point to developer releases - not needed with stable Chrome latest.

2. Having saved the correct package above proceed to right click > extract

3. Enter the extracted folder and proceed to right click > Extract the ‘data.tar.gz’

4. Navigate to data/opt/google/chrome and locate ‘libpdf.so’

5. Copy the above file to /usr/lib/chromium-browser/ (You may need to run a root nautilus window for this. Press ALT+F2 and type ‘gksu nautilus /usr/lib/chromium-browser/’ minus the apostrophes.)

6. Start Chromium and type ‘about:plugins’ into the address bar

7. Search for \"Chrome PDF Viewer (2 files)\" and click the ‘Enable’ option.

Source = http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/use-google-chrome’s-native-pdf-reader-in-chromium/

If posted already, my apologies.

Note: the data.tar.gz is a .lzma on latest Chrome 20xxx

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

Yup, a cool little trick. I've never had problems using the pdf viewer in Chromium and you can do the same for Iron and Dragon. It works for Windows too, but getting the pdf.dll requires access to a fully installed version of Chrome.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ocky, which version of Chromium are you using? From where do you download it, in what form? How often do you update it?

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

As I mentioned before I don't know much about those two browsers due to lack of usage.
    On my old Ubuntu 10.04LTS install I simply installed Chromium from the repositories.
    18.0.1025.151 (Developer Build 130497) Ubuntu 10.04
    As regards my Chrome in Kubuntu 12.04, I downloaded it from here https://www.google.com/chrome/?hl=en-GB apparently the latest stable version 20..something.
    Hope that was the right place to obtain it.
    (PS. it has a way to go to beat Opera for user convenience but is not bad at all. I like the --enable-seccomp-sandbox feature and the various flag options eg. to save all web pages in mhtml instead of html. Chrome also cleverly selects the built in flash and ignores the adobe flashplugin (both are shown in chrome://plugins/)

Trust that you are now happily saving and previewing those pdf files. :)

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

1. I don't use Chromium at all because I prefer Chrome in any case. That means I don't have to struggle with Flash & pdfs.
    2. For some reason, the Chromium made available by Ubuntu is old (which is why I asked).
    3. I still prefer to open "unknown" pdf files offline ;)
    4. The built-in Flash in Chrome is now Peppery and causes problems for people with old CPUs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.