Chromeplus memory usage

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Less, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Less

Less Registered Member

hi all,

i noticed that the memory usage for chromplus is rather high...
    I am currently running some extensions along with it.

Is it normal?

Attached Files:

2. Less

Less Registered Member

each tab i opened..... another chromeplus process inserted...

3. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

How is that high? That's standard for browsers these days. To be honest with you, it's kind of low!

Testing Iron 5 beta, the base browser uses 20-40mb, and every consecutive tab (process) uses about 20mb.

4. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I agree. Try using IE8 for comparative purposes and see what kind of numbers you get (probably **considerably higher** than what has been posted here).

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

The number of processes for Chrome+ = number of tabs + 1. Each tab uses Ram. The fact that each tab is an independent process causes higher memory use, but it is *more secure & stable* than browsers that do not follow this procedure.

The browsers that follow the same procedure as Chrome+ include Chromium, Iron, & Google Chrome.

The browsers that do NOT follow the same procedure as Chrome+ include Firefox (FF) & Kmeleon. I have heard that FF plans to switch to the Chrome+ setup at some future date. But I'm not sure of that.

Unlike Chromium, Iron, & Google Chrome, you can RESET Chrome+ so that it does not use as many processes and, hence, uses less memory. To do so...

>Hit Shift-Ctrl-C > Left click Startup Options > at top of page see "Process Mode" . . .

>The 1st item "Process per site instance" is the default. Three other choices are listed as well.

>The second choice (Single Process) uses the least number of processes & the least amount of Ram. It is, in fact, the "old style" still used by many other browsers.

>I use the 4th option "Process per site". It's my compromise between *safety* & smaller impact on system resources.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, that's absolutely normal (in fact, that's below usual stuff after leaving Chrome-based stuff running for a while).

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

1 extension = 1 chrome.exe process as well, it is good for stability, so 1 extension will not crash the whole browser. I get 9 processes at start, that is 1 tab and 8 extensions.

8. Less

Less Registered Member

thanks all for their valuable inputs.

9. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Try with and without extensions(uninstall them temporarily) and see the difference in usage.

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, you can see extensions memory usage by pressing Shift+ESC keys which launches the built-in Chrome "task manager" ;)

11. Less

Less Registered Member

wow ...cool..thanks pal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.