Chromebook or Nexus 10

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roark37, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I was thinking about getting a tablet, most likely a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10, but I am now also considering a Chromebook instead. Any opinions or recommendations of these options? It is mainly to have a light device for couch/recliner web surfing. I think both the Samsung Chromebook for $249 and the Nexus 10 have the same processor so are they about equally fast? I am especially interested in browsing speed. Does anyone here have either one of these and really like and recommend them?

Another question I had was with the Chromebooks it seems you can get web apps from Google Chrome store but do all those apps work for the chrome browser regardless of whether using Chromebook? And is there a major difference from those Chrome apps than just visiting the website for whatever it is?

Thanks.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm sure you've done your research. But in case you haven't read many reviews, I found this link about a 2 week test review for the Chromebook. http://www.citeworld.com/cloud/21300/samsung-chromebook-review?page=0

Having owned a Win 7 netbook, I can say that for me, using a tablet is much handier. I recently bought a Nexus 7 and for what it's meant for (surfing, email, gaming and such) I wouldn't trade it for any PC. It isn't a computer but that's not why we buy them, right?

Anyway, I think the time frame for the netbook (or Chromebook in this case) is past. Tablets killed them...

(BTW, I am one of those tablet users that does NOT understand why anyone would want a hard, physical keyboard for a tablet. Takes away the portability factor completely!)

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

My $.02 worth:

I have a Blackberry Playbook, a Nexus 7, and an Ipad 2. After using these tablets for several months, I see no need for a Chromebook at this point. :)

If the original poster has not used a tablet recently, I would highly suggest you test-drive the tablet of your choice.

4. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the tablet myself and even if I did get a Chromebook would likely get at least a 7' tablet too.

kdcdq, do you prefer the Nexus 7 to the ipad2? I was leaning towards the Nexus 10 simply because I think I'd much prefer the larger screen. From the reviews I have read the Nexus seems to tower over the other android tablets. Is that what you have found as well? I also saw the Acer A210 seemed to get excellent reviews but was not sure if that was still considered far below Nexus.

Thanks.

5. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

The short answer is that the Nexus 7 is fantastic for checking weather forecasts, reading news headlines, fast looks at email, etc. It is extremely portable, has a very nice sharp screen, and it's fast.

However, when I need to do some serious web searches, reply to emails, and update blogs, I most often grab the Ipad 2 due mainly to IOS's security and apps maturity, plus the much larger screen.

I would really like to take the Nexus 10 for a test drive, but alas, it just isn't in the budget right now.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nexus 10 by far. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.