Chrome vs. Chromium in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tlu, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

Ocky, thanks for that hint. I enabled that flag and had no problems. Does anybody know how to check if flash is really sandboxed?

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Now I am not sure - it appears that the switch was removed by Chrome because it caused plugins to break frequently. (The 1st link doesn't work)

Would be nice to know whether this is correct.

Seems so .. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=300374

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. tlu

tlu Guest

Indeed. Questions and more questions! Quite frankly, I feel a bit pissed by Chrome. Everybody praises it as the safest browser - built-in flash, sandboxed etc. Then you install it and find out: built-in Flash? - there is none :thumbd: Nobody knows if the external plugin is sandboxed, and nobody in this forum was able to answer my question in other threads if the XSS filter, which had been disabled in the past because of performance considerations, is enabled again ...

I'm tempted to say that Chrome is - at least partially - a bluff package.

I'm staying with Firefox for now.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What do you mean there's no built-in Flash? Are you sure you haven't disabled the plugin?

5. tlu

tlu Guest

No, see the picture in post#3.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That shortened url isn't working (404 page) for me.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Most of the information is re. the Windows OS and I suspect they're putting more effort (and PR) into there.
    The built-in Flash is sandboxed for the 32 bit version on Linux. Maybe they need time to get the 64 bit version sandboxed?
    From what I have read here and there, the external Flash isn't sandboxed but I can't point to an official source.
    I don't see anything like the XSS filter in about:flags where it used to be. That means either of two things: it's been dropped totally or incorporated into the regular browser. I'm sure that info is "somewhere".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.