Chrome started automatically opening a new tab at startup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

My sister started using Chrome recently and she said a couple of days ago it mysteriously started opening a new tab when the program starts. I looked at it and it seems to be a starup page of some sort. We tweaked the startup options and no matter where we set it the mysterious new tab opens up. She said the program updated around the same time it started so I thought it might be related. Would anyone know anything about this or know if there's an advanced option somewhere that controls it. I know zilch about Chrome.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Do you have a screenshot of the new tab? Maybe its one of Google Chrome's "experiments". Go to chrome://flags/ and toggle the option for "Disable the app launcher on startup" or try the top option of resetting everything to default.

If that doesn't work, delete Chrome's profile and start fresh.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Does it always startup with the new tab even if "Continue where I left off" or "Open a specific page or set of pages" are selected in Chrome's Settings?

5. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Thanks everyone. We tried the suggestions but hers still opens that new tab page. I downloaded and tried Chrome Portable and in the general settings all I had to do was set it to "On Startup: Continue where I left off" and it works okay. I think she's gonna have to reset everything back to default and start over or reinstall the program. Anyway, thanks a lot, I'll give her the good news. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.